There are a variety of overnight summer camps for older kids and teens in Western North Carolina. Many of these camps are offered in sessions that range from 3 days up to 8 weeks, depending on the age of the camper. Overnight summer camps (also referred to as residential camps) offer a wide variety of activities ranging from whitewater rafting and zipline tours, to creative writing, painting or science and technology workshops. (Feature image: Camp Pinnacle)
Water balloon toss at Camp Pinnacle, Flat Rock.
While some parents may be hesitant to send their kids to an overnight summer camp, the benefits are great! Experienced camp counselors are there to help your child be responsible, make decisions and engage in the surroundings. The balance of structured activities, adventure, community, responsibility, and fun work together to enrich your child, creating summer memories that will last a lifetime.
Benefits of Overnight Summer Camps
- Independence: Campers manage their own space, chores, and choices
- Self-Confidence: Campers are encouraged to overcome self doubts and rise to the challenge
- Friendships: Campers develop relationships and find common interests with other campers
- New Skills: Campers develop skills from a variety of activities and experiences
- Gratitude: Time away from home often leads to an appreciation for parents and siblings
- Team Player: Campers works together towards a common goal
- Responsibility: All campers have responsibilities, including leadership roles
- Tolerance: Campers learn to work through conflict with others and allow
Top Overnight Summer Camps in Western North Carolina
Eagle's Nest, Pisgah
Encourages boys and girls to live and grow simply, rooted by intentional experiences and connection to the community. Activities promote self-expression, personal growth, skill-building, and fun.… read more
Camp Highlander, Mills River
Adventures and activities including canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, horseback riding, swimming, water skiing, arts and crafts, pottery, archery, riflery, and more. 1-3 week sessions,… read more
Gwynn Valley Camp, Brevard
This overnight summer camp for kids located on a working farm offers farm activities, nature lessons, hiking, sports, blacksmithing, climbing, archery, crafts, and more. Programs focus on… read more
Camp Cedar Cliff, Asheville
This Christian-based camp offers a variety of overnight camps for rising 2nd-10th graders. Depending on age, camps include whitewater rafting, zipline tours, archery, swimming, rope courses, and… read more
Camp Pinnacle, Flat Rock
This overnight summer camp offers swimming, boating, riflery, archery, tennis, disc golf, game room, crafts, drama, yoga, painting, nature program, field sports, and more. 2 to 5-week sessions,… read more
COMPASS at Montreat College, Black Mountain
Choose among summer immersion programs in Cybersecurity, Exercise Science, Herpetology, Audio Production, Business Entrepreneurship, Creative Writing, Criminal Justice, Theatre, and Outdoor… read more
Ridge Haven, Brevard
With access to hundreds of acres of trails, streams, and views, this Christian camp offers wilderness activities, lake activities, rope and obstacle courses, swimming, archery, games, and more. 5-… read more
PARI Learning Center, Rosman
Kids can explore the universe and beyond at this 200-acre historic campus in Pisgah Forest. Offering campers an out-of-the-world experience, the camp will focus on astronomy and planetary subjects… read more
Camp Kanuga, Hendersonville
This inclusive Christian camp by Kanuga Lake offers adventure activities, sports, horseback riding, crafts, talent shows, overnight campouts, and more. 4-21 Day sessions, June-August 2022. Ages 7-… read more
Camp Wayfarer, Flat Rock
Christian-based camp that includes creative arts, horseback riding, swimming, sports, archery, and wilderness adventures. Sessions range from 5-day to 4 weeks with mini sessions for grades 1-6 and… read more
Helpful Tips for Overnight Summer Camps
- Plan ahead! Camps fill up quickly. Overnight summer camp registration can begin as early as December for some camps.
- Many summer camps in WNC offer scholarships to help local children attend regardless of financial means. Be sure to ask camps about scholarships.
- Looking for full and half-day summer camps? Stayed tuned for our 2020 WNC Full & Half-Day Summer Camps Guide.
- For more kid-friendly adventures, see our Kid-Friendly Hikes, Waterfalls, and Family-Friendly Hotels & Lodging.
- Are we missing a great overnight summer camp? Email us
See more pages from our Family Guide:
Kid-Friendly Hikes | Waterfalls for Kids | Biltmore for Kids | Family-Friendly Hotels & Lodging | Top 20 Indoor Activities for Kids | Hands-On Learning & Children's Museums | Kids in Parks | 20 Family Dates in WNC | Places for Kid's Birthday Parties| Overnight Summer Camps in WNC | Day & Half-Day Summer Camps in WNC | Kid-Friendly Restaurants | Family Date Ideas