There are a variety of overnight summer camps for older kids and teens in Western North Carolina. Many of these camps are offered in sessions that range from 3 days up to 8 weeks, depending on the age of the camper. Overnight summer camps (also referred to as residential camps) offer a wide variety of activities ranging from whitewater rafting and zipline tours, to creative writing, painting or science and technology workshops. (Feature image: Camp Pinnacle)
Water balloon toss at Camp Pinnacle, Flat Rock.
While some parents may be hesitant to send their kids to an overnight summer camp, the benefits are great! Experienced camp counselors are there to help your child be responsible, make decisions and engage in the surroundings. The balance of structured activities, adventure, community, responsibility, and fun work together to enrich your child, creating summer memories that will last a lifetime.
Benefits of Overnight Summer Camps
- Independence: Campers manage their own space, chores, and choices
- Self-Confidence: Campers are encouraged to overcome self doubts and rise to the challenge
- Friendships: Campers develop relationships and find common interests with other campers
- New Skills: Campers develop skills from a variety of activities and experiences
- Gratitude: Time away from home often leads to an appreciation for parents and siblings
- Team Player: Campers works together towards a common goal
- Responsibility: All campers have responsibilities, including leadership roles
- Tolerance: Campers learn to work through conflict with others and allow
Top Overnight Summer Camps in Western North Carolina
Helpful Tips for Overnight Summer Camps
- Plan ahead! Camps fill up quickly. Overnight summer camp registration can begin as early as December for some camps.
- Many summer camps in WNC offer scholarships to help local children attend regardless of financial means. Be sure to ask camps about scholarships.
- Looking for full and half-day summer camps? Stayed tuned for our 2020 WNC Full & Half-Day Summer Camps Guide.
- For more kid-friendly adventures, see our Kid-Friendly Hikes, Waterfalls, and Family-Friendly Hotels & Lodging.
- Are we missing a great overnight summer camp? Email us
See more pages from our Family Guide:
Kid-Friendly Hikes | Waterfalls for Kids | Biltmore for Kids | Family-Friendly Hotels & Lodging | Top 20 Indoor Activities for Kids | Hands-On Learning & Children's Museums | Kids in Parks | 20 Family Dates in WNC | Places for Kid's Birthday Parties| Overnight Summer Camps in WNC | Day & Half-Day Summer Camps in WNC | Kid-Friendly Restaurants | Family Date Ideas