Kick off the New Year with the fun only found in Asheville and western North Carolina! Here are our top things to do, including the best celebrations and things to do all weekend.
Asheville Area New Year 2020 Eve Parties, Packages & Festivals
- Marion's NYE Celebration on their Main Street includes a lighted "golden nugget" dropping into a 10-foot giant donut that everyone can sample after midnight! Read all about it!
- Hendersonville's Apple Rise is a family-oriented celebration downtown with warm beverages, games, music and more 6-7 PM for London New Year with countdown for local New Year beginning at 11 PM. See our Hendersonville Holidays Guide.
- Downtown Asheville: While there is no public outdoor event to welcome the new year, there will be plenty of indoor venues to celebrate - including many restaurants, clubs, pubs, live music venues, etc. If the weather is nice, the streets will be buzzing with lots of activity and fun street entertainers.
- Asheville Restaurants: Many are open late on New Year's Eve and feature a lively bar. Make reservations ASAP!
- Beer Pubs: Plenty of pubs, breweries and bars to celebrate with local brews! Many are within walking distance in downtown Asheville.
- Live Music: Find the best places & calendars for bands and dancing!
- Wine & Cocktails: Hang out with your sweetie at a downtown Asheville wine or cocktail bar.
- Grove Arcade: Ring in the New Year with live jazz, decorations, craft cocktails, a photo booth portal, and hors d’oeuvres at the Roaring 20's NYE Party at Grove Arcadetue, 7-10 PM
- The Omni Grove Park Inn: Many options! You don't have to stay overnight to enjoy their restaurants (go to their website). Always a popular spot with many festive options. Make reservations well in advance since everything will book up soon. Blue Ridge Dining Room will feature the big New Year's Eve Buffet and a New Year's Day "Good Luck" Brunch Buffet. Plus, there's a very special NYE menu in Vue 1913 and Edison. Stay in style with their New Year's Eve Heritage Celebration Package ($1500/couple) with two nights of luxury accommodations Dec 30 & 31, Art of Breakfast, plus two tickets to Heritage Jazz Dinner and big Speakeasy Party, plus more. See package details on their Web site.
- Inn on Biltmore Estate: Ring in 2020 in style with elegance and luxury at the four-star hotel with their New Year's Eve Gala Package, two nights Dec 30 & 31 with a five-course NYE dinner & black-tie gala, breakfast buffets, midnight toast and a dazzling fireworks display! Rates from $1630/couple. Go to their website.
- Harrah's Cherokee Casino has live entertainment at multiple locations.
- Pack’s Tavern downtown has two options: An elegant event upstairs starting at 8 PM in the Century Room by Pack Square Park with gourmet dinner buffet, drink tickets, Champagne toast and dancing to the Groove Shakers $125/person. Downstairs will have a Countdown Party with another band at 9 PM, specials and photo booth for $20/person.
- Tryon, NC: This small town has the first New Year's ball drop - at 10 PM! Their "Midnight Tryon" street party runs 7-10 PM. Free. Kid friendly.
- Tryon Resort & Intl Equestrian Center celebration starts at 5 PM and features two comedy shows, a dance party with live band, champagne toast, and a balloon drop at midnight. Dine onsite at one of our four restaurants and get free tickets to the party. Big drive-through light show. Lodging packages available too.
- Season’s at Highland Lake Inn: New Year's Eve 4-course dinner, 5-9 PM, $85/person. New Year's Day buffet 11:30 AM-2:30 PM, $27.95/adult. Flat Rock.
- Beech Mountain Ski Resort: New Year's Eve with live music, games, ice skating, fireworks, and fun after a day of skiing and snowboarding. 7 PM until midnight. Free admission.
- Asheville Symphony Orchestra special Beatles concert with Classical Mystery Tour band from the Broadway smash Beatlemania! The first half features Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album in its entirety with more hits the second half. At Thomas Wolfe Auditorium downtown Asheville 8 PM, from $42/adult. Get tickets at www.ashevillesymphony.org.
- Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure has a New Year’s Eve Dinner Party 7 PM until 12:30 AM with a DJ and gourmet buffet, $65/person. Call for reservations 828-694-3016. Book a lakeside rental home or condo and stay the weekend.
Stay in Style: Be pampered in one of the fabulous bed and breakfast inns in and around Asheville. Or get away in a cozy cabin or vacation rental or highly-reviewed hotel. It's a busy weekend in Asheville - so plan ahead!
Winter Lights at NC Arboretum: Stroll through the wonderland in the gardens. Open both New Year's Eve and New Year's nights. Read all about Winter Lights.
Wonderland Drive-Through Light Show: Head to Tryon International Equestrian Center for a 2-mile drive through an over-the-top animated light display. Read more.
Biltmore Estate: Biltmore Estate is open on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. See America's largest home decked out in festive finery! Restaurants are open (make dining reservations in advance). Also buy admission tickets well in advance since those dates will probably sell-out. See our Christmas at Biltmore Guide.
Ski: Area ski resorts will be open all weekend, weather permitting.
Get Outdoors: Start work on that New Year's resolution to lose a few pounds and get in better shape! Take a winter hike and enjoy views through with leafless trees, cool temperatures, and few fellow hikers. See our hiking guide for top picks. All trails in the National Forests are open every day. And don't forget to find some of our spectacular waterfalls (most waterfalls are open on New Years Day, including DuPont State State Forest and Gorges State Park).
First Day Hikes: The North Carolina's state parks system will offer free guided First Day Hikes on January 1, the perfect chance to begin the New Year with exercise and a reconnection with nature. Read about First Day Hikes near Asheville.
Shop: There's plenty of shopping options to find after holiday deals. Browse shops in Downtown Asheville (free parking on New Year's Eve & Day). The Asheville Outlets are open both December 31 and January 1. For more great local shops with unique gifts, explore the cool small towns in our mountains.
LaZoom Comedy Bus Tours: What a fun outing with friends and family! Take the zany tour on the big purple bus. Make reservations in advance. Read more about LaZoom Tours.
New Year’s Polar Plunge: Unfortunately, the Lake Lure Plunge into chilly water is cancelled for 2020. They plan to return on January 1, 2021. Read more about the Polar Plunge.