Kick-off the New Year with the fun only found in Asheville and western North Carolina! While 2020 requires some modifications, there is still plenty to do safely all New Year's weekend. Here are our top things to do!
Asheville Area New Year's Eve 2020
- Asheville Restaurants: Many are open late on New Year's Eve and feature a lively bar. Make reservations ASAP!
- Beer Pubs: Plenty of pubs, breweries, and bars to celebrate with local brews! Many are within walking distance with outdoor space in downtown Asheville.
- Wine & Cocktails: Hang out with your sweetie at a downtown Asheville wine or cocktail bar. Or check out rooftop bars!
- The Omni Grove Park Inn: New Year’s Eve 2020 dining at The Omni Grove Park Inn in all of our outlets, including Edison, craft ales + kitchen, Vue 1913 & Blue Ridge, will be open to day guests as well as overnight guests. Reservations can be made via OpenTable or by calling 800-438-5800. Go to their website.
- Beech Mountain Ski Resort: New Year's Eve with ice skating, fireworks, and fun after a day of skiing and snowboarding. 7 PM until midnight. Free admission.
Stay in Style: Be pampered in one of the fabulous bed and breakfast inns in and around Asheville. Or getaway in a cozy cabin or vacation rental or highly-reviewed hotel. It's a busy weekend in Asheville - so plan ahead!
Winter Lights at NC Arboretum: Walk through the big light display! Open both New Year's Eve and New Year's nights. Read all about Winter Lights.
Wonderland Drive-Through Light Show: Head to Tryon International Equestrian Center for a 2-mile drive through an over-the-top animated light display. Read more.
Biltmore: Biltmore is open on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. See America's largest home decked out in festive finery! Restaurants are open (make dining reservations in advance). Also, buy admission tickets well in advance since those dates will probably sell-out. Better yet, get a discounted annual pass through Dec 21, 2020. See our Christmas at Biltmore Guide.
Ski: Area ski resorts will be open all weekend, weather permitting.
Get Outdoors: Start work on that New Year's resolution to lose a few pounds and get in better shape! Take a winter hike and enjoy views through leafless trees, cool temperatures, and few fellow hikers. See our hiking guide for top picks. All trails in the National Forests are open every day. And don't forget to find some of our spectacular waterfalls (most waterfalls are open on New Years Day, including DuPont State State Forest and Gorges State Park).
First Day Hikes: North Carolina's state parks system will offer free guided First Day Hikes on January 1, the perfect chance to begin the New Year with exercise and a reconnection with nature. Read about First Day Hikes near Asheville.
Shop: There's plenty of shopping options to find after-holiday deals. Browse shops in Downtown Asheville (free parking on New Year's Eve & Day). The Asheville Outlets are open both December 31 and January 1. For more great local shops with unique gifts, explore the cool small towns in our mountains.
New Year’s Polar Plunge: Jan 1, 2021, 10 AM-2 PM. $20 to register. Read more about the Polar Plunge at Lake Lure.