The village of Beech Mountain, the highest town in Eastern America (5,506 feet), is an ideal winter vacation spot in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains. An average snowfall of 84 inches creates a wonderland for skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, snowshoeing and sledding.
Explore 95 acres of ski terrain with 15 slopes and trails at the Beech Mountain Resort with a vertical drop of 830 feet. Their longest run is one mile. At the top of the slopes, enjoy the summit views with drinks at the 5506' Skybar. In the Alpine Village, unwind with local brews at Beech Mountain Brewing, warm up at the coffee shop, go ice skating, shop for gear and eat at the View Haus cafeteria or Beech Tree Bar & Grille. The Beech Mountain Adaptive Snowsports Center supports adults with disabilities.
Coming for 2018-19: Two new Doppelmayr quad lifts bring safer boarding, quicker lines and faster trips to the top!
Winter Ski & Snowboard 2017-18 Season Specials (Many specials not available Dec 18-Jan 1)
- Ski & Stay Package in December-March: Take a midweek ski getaway and get a great deal. Stay two nights in a cabin, rental house, inn or condo (Sunday-Thursday nights) and get one free lift ticket per person to ski at Beech on Monday-Friday. Excludes Christmas week and holiday Mondays. Rate is only $119/person, based on double occupancy!
- Bring friends & family! $450 Entourage Package: Get accommodations for 6-8 people for two nights. For 9-10 people, it's $550.
- Tuesday Ladies Night & Wednesday Men's Night, $9 night ticket - after 5 PM
- Couples Night Thursday, $16 for first ticket and $8 for second - after 5 PM
- Military discounts apply to active duty U.S. military personnel and immediate family members, redeemed at any ticketing window seven days a week. Military ID is required.
- March Madness begins Monday, March 5, and runs through the remainder of the ski season. Receive 25% off all lift tickets, rental equipment and lesson products.
- Save up to 45% on lift tickets on weekdays (compared to weekends)
Resort Special Events
- January 5, 2019: Winterfest Beer Festival - Sample 50 brews and ciders from a variety of regional breweries while enjoying live music at the Beech Tree Bar & Grille. 4-8 PM. $35/person. For more info, go to the Beech Mountain Web site.
- February 21-24, 2019: Totally '80s Retro Ski Weekend - Enjoy live ’80s music nightly, retro skiing daily and throwback activities in between. Hit the slopes in dayglo ski gear and dust off those old school threads for concerts, activities and contests. Fun party bands perform on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights including Breakfast Club. Enjoy Totally Tubular Snowtubing and Pac Man, Rubik’s Cube and trivia contests. And don’t miss the Carolina Ghostbusters and their Ecto-Mobile and stainless steel DeLorean. For more info and packages, go to the Beech Mountain Web site.
Step off the chairlift atop the mountain into a unique, glass roundhouse for food, drinks and snacks in comfort. Or relax on the deck with panoramic mountain vistas from a mile high. Also find heated restrooms.
The picturesque Alpine Village at Beech Mountain Resort has shops and dining, as well as a 7,000-square-foot ice skating rink. View Haus Cafeteria at the base of the slopes has get burgers, fries, soups and other quick food with panoramic windows for watching the action. Beech Tree Bar and Grill has live music and a variety of spirits, pizza and burgers, located at the base of the high speed quad. Ski Beech Sports offers everything you need for a great day on the slopes. Also find Beech Mountain Brewing Co. with a great lineup of beers.
The terrain park, called The Park, has rotating freestyle features, a dedicated snowmaking system, light towers, and a surface tow lift providing top-notch conditions in the park day and night.
A state-of-the-art tubing park has been created at the resort's Alpine Village at the base of the slopes. The magic carpet conveyer transports riders quickly to the top. Sessions start every two hours. $27/person weekdays and $32/person weekends/holidays. Note: Tubing runs are not always open when the slopes are open. Check ahead!
Snowshoe & Hike
Explore the 20-mile trail system maintained by the town of Beech Mountain (when there is natural snow cover on the ground). Or hike on warmer days. Rent snowshoes from the Buckeye Rec Center (call 828-387-3003 for availability) by the hour, half-day or full day. Private snowshoe guided excursions are also available.
Town Sledding Hill
Beech Mountain’s youth sledding hill is located next to the Visitor Center in the middle of town (before you reach the ski resort area). It's owned by the town and they make snow to keep it in great shape during cold weather. It's free for kids 12 and under. Parents can ride down with younger kids. If you don't have a sled, you can buy one at Fred's General Store. It's open daily weekday 1-5 PM and weekends 9-5, usually mid December through February, depending on weather. Call the Visitor Center for current condtions: 1-800-468-5506.
Beech Mountain is located about 80 miles north of Asheville, near Banner Elk and Grandfather Mountain. The street address for the ski resort is 1007 Beech Mountain Pkwy, Beech Mountain.
Beech Mountain Lodging and Rentals
Break free from chain establishments and select from an assortment of accommodations. From budget to luxury, choose from mountain lodges, bed and breakfasts, home rentals, cabins, chalets, and condos right at the slopes. For places to stay, go to the Beech Mountain Web site.
Beech Mountain Town Restaurants & Shops
Find a wide array of cuisine. Our top pick is Jackalopes View Restaurant at Archer's Inn. And Brick Oven Pizzeria and Pasta is a longtime favorite for locals and skiers. Our favorite shopping spot is Fred’s General Mercantile, with groceries, clothing, sleds and cafe. Nearby Banner Elk offers more shops, restaurants and galleries.
Summer Hike & Mountain Bike
During spring, summer and fall, explore the 20-mile trail system. Read more about the Beech Mountain Trails.
Fall Color & Land of Oz
Peak fall color in the Beech Mountain area is usually around the first week of October. Also each fall, enjoy special tours of Land of Oz.