Tucked away in a tree preserve across the French Broad River from downtown Asheville is a playground for outdoors adventure lovers of all ages. The Adventure Center of Asheville is just five minutes from downtown (and about 10 minutes from Biltmore). It's also near the River Arts District and the New Beligum Brewery. Fly on 11 ziplines through old growth trees from towers with skyline and mountain views. Play in the treetops or climb trees. Plus, bring the kids for the first-ever Kid Zip course.
At their Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventures, fly on 11 ziplines, walk across sky bridges with views of downtown and the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains, especially from atop the 54-foot Jinga Tower and high in 150-year old majestic white oaks. Two zip lines on the full course are double "side by side" zip lines. The longest is more than 1200-feet long! With a design of progressively increasing heights and lengths of the zip lines, the course allows "flyers" the opportunity to build confidence before experiencing the big heights or longer lines.
While in flight, you reach heights of more than 70 feet and speeds of up to 40 miles per hour. Two "Canopy Rangers" escort each tour of up to 10 guests on the 2.5-hour tour. It's fun for all fitness levels and no experience is needed.
Closed toed shoes required. Harness seats wrap around your upper thigh, shoulders, and waist - so shirts and pants should cover modestly. All flyers must be in reasonably good physical condition. All participants must be able to raise their arms over head to self regulate speed and braking. Canopy Rangers will provide safety instruction & back-up systems. Age/Weight range: 10 years and 70 lbs to 250 lbs. Weight variations effect momentum when zipping. Advance reservations are required.
More Outdoors Fun
Also located at Adventure Center of Asheville are:
- Asheville Treetops Adventure Park: 60 unique climbing, flying, walking, jumping, swinging, and rappelling challenges anchored to 30 towering trees. The five different adventure trails that allow you to choose the level of obstacles you are comfortable with. For ages 4 and up. New for summer 2018: Twilight in the Treetops every Saturday evening (7:15-9:30 PM) with thousands of lights and lasers creating a mystical tree climbing experience. $37/person
- Kid Zip: Bring the kids to enjoy America's first zip line adventure designed for ages 4-10 years old. It includes nine zip lines and four fun climbing elements. It is a self-guided tour with the exception of an adult escort. Ziplines range from 50 feet to 250 feet long and up to 25 feet high.
- TreeQuest: After your zipline ride, try out their very unique adventure that combines tree climbing and rock climbing by attaching rock climbing holds to the trees. Choose from four short "bouldering" climbs, only 6-8 feet high, or five full climbs, up to 35 feet high. It's extremely safe since you'll wear a full body harness and a controlled decent device lowers you when you complete your climb.
- For more info, go to their Web site.
- From the East or Downtown Asheville: Take I-240 West until you cross the French Broad River. Take Exit 3A straight onto Hwy 19/23 also known as Patton Avenue. Turn right at second light (Denny's) onto Regent Park Drive. Turn left at end of road at sign for Crowne Plaza Resort, Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventures is at the top of the hill on your left
- From the West (I-26, I-40, I-240): Take I-240 East to Exit 3A (left hand exit ramp). Turn right at second light (at Denny's) onto Regent Park Drive. Turn left at end of road at sign for Crowne Plaza Resort, Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventures is at the top of the hill on your left.
For more info, go to their Web site.
For road bikes, a popular spot is the Blue Ridge Parkway. Read some great tips about biking on the Blue Ridge Parkway... read more