Just across the French Broad River from downtown, West Asheville (28806) is a mecca for originality. For the past few years, people have flocked to this funky neighborhood, either to visit or buy a quaint cottage within walking distance of the many new businesses that have opened in the area.
Haywood Road has been the main street of West Asheville for more than a century. Old buildings are now home to modern businesses, but the street still has a small hometown feel. As you walk down the street, you will see old buildings renovated for new businesses side-by-side with second- and third-generation shops. There are now many restaurants, breweries, pubs with frequent live music, bakeries, a variety of resale consignment shops, vintage clothing boutiques and even a half-dozen record shops lining the road that appeal to visitors interested in sampling the unique, bohemian flavor of Asheville.
A recent major addition is the New Belgium Brewery, along the French Broad River with tours and a greenway. Read more about New Belgium Brewery
Haywood Road Restaurants
Today, West Asheville offers a big variety of restaurants, from upscale four-star dining and gourmet burgers to casual barbecue and pubs. You'll find many of the best spots along Haywood Road. Also, see our West Asheville Dining Guide.
- Asheville Sandwich Company (794 Haywood Road) is a small joint with huge french fry sandwiches!
- Westville Pub (777 Haywood Road) opened in 2002 as West Asheville's original watering hole and entertainment venue.
- West End Bakery (757 Haywood) is a long-time staple and serves breakfast anytime, with an assortment of made-from-scratch baked goods.
- Nine Mile West (751 Haywood) features vegetarian-friendly, Caribbean-inspired pasta dishes, rice dishes and an array of locally-made desserts.
- Isis Restaurant (743 Haywood) offers a creative fare of seasonal vegetables and proteins in their dining room and bar. After, enjoy a performance in their Music Hall.
- Biscuit Head (733 Haywood) is a hot spot for great breakfast combinations - love their jam bar!
- The Hop West (721 Haywood) serves a variety of yummy Asheville-made ice cream.
- Jargon (715 Haywood) serves New American plates, craft cocktails, and desserts.
- BimBeriBon (697 Haywood Road) has gluten-free menu of global bites and superfood-enhanced fare.
- Sunny Pointe Cafe (626 Haywood) is a longtime local's favorite for innovation breakfast and brunch.
- Oyster House Brewing (625 Haywood) Try local brews with seafood small plates.
- Tastee Diner (575 Haywood Road) serves creative comfort food.
- Zia Taqueria (521 Haywood) is an authentic Mexican taqueria providing high-quality, moderately-priced, regional Southwest/Mexican food and beverages using only natural ingredients.
- Early Girl Eatery (444 Haywood Rd) is a longtime local's favorite farm-to-table dinner.
- The Admiral (400 Haywood) gets national attention for its innovative cuisine served in a cinderblock building.
- Archetype Brewing (265 Haywood Road) Try clean American and Belgian-inspired ales.
- Urban Orchard Cider Company and Bar (210 Haywood) makes delicious local hard apple cider, fermented using local apples.
- Taco Billy (201 Haywood) is a cozy taqueria with market-fresh tacos for breakfast and lunch.
See our Top Asheville Restaurants list for more dining choices.
Across the river, the River Arts District is a must-see. It's home to 180 artists in 25 buildings. Explore the riverside warehouses that have been converted to working studios.
West Asheville Things to Do
Asheville Outdoor Center
Kayak, paddleboard, raft or tube down the French Broad River in Asheville and through the Biltmore Estate. You can also rent a bike or mine for gems. Just five miles from downtown.
Early Girl Eatery
A local's favorite in Asheville since 2001, featuring area farmers from day one. Southern dishes are served in a friendly diner vibe. Breakfast all day. Meat & two dishes with plenty of… read more
Western North Carolina Farmer's Market
Come and enjoy the atmosphere and bounty of the mountains. The retail area features displays of high-quality fruits and vegetables, mountain crafts, jams, jellies, preserves, sourwood honey and… read more
New Belgium Brewing
(21 Craven Street, Asheville) Sample brews in the riverside Liquid Center Tasting Room, located just across the French Broad River from downtown Asheville. And take a free, 90-minute brewery tour… read more
Adventure Center of Asheville
Open all year and just minutes from Downtown! This center for adventure offers something for everyone, whether you're 4 or 94! Zip on the Canopy Zipline Tour with two 1,200 foot lines, or make it… read more
River Arts District
Some 185 working artists have set up shop in the River Arts District. Drive a little, walk a little to visit studios and galleries. Find an amazing variety of art and see how the artists create it… read more
Carrier Park offers volleyball courts, a giant playground, a roller-hockey rink, a basketball court, a multi-use track, a lawn bowling court, a paved trail and a multi-use sports field for baseball and soccer. It also includes a picnic pavilion, river overlooks, a wetland interpretive and education area, and more trails. Located on Amboy Road and Michigan Avenue in West Asheville.
French Broad River Park, one of Asheville's most beautiful parks, meanders alongside the tranquil French Broad River and features a vast area of open green space with old trees, a wildflower garden, a paved trail, a gazebo, picnic tables and grills, an observation deck and a small playground. The Dog Park features a large fenced-in area made for exercising and socializing your pooch.
To explore this neighborhood, take exit 2 on I-240 for Haywood Road. Go either direction on Haywood. It will end at Patton Avenue to the west and crosses the French Broad River and ends in downtown to the east.
Map by OnHaywood.com - check them out for a complete listing businesses in West Asheville!