Just across the French Broad River from downtown, West Asheville (28806) is a mecca for originality. For the past few years, people have flocked to this funky neighborhood, either to visit or buy a quaint cottage within walking distance of the many new businesses that have opened in the area.
Haywood Road has been the main street of West Asheville for more than a century. Old buildings are now home to modern businesses, but the street still has a small hometown feel. As you walk down the street you will see old buildings renovated for new businesses side by side with second- and third-generation shops. There are now many restaurants, pubs with frequent live music, bakeries, a variety of resale consignment shops, and vintage clothing boutiques and even a half dozen record shops lining the road that appeal to visitors interested in sampling the unique, bohemian flavor of Asheville.
The River Arts District is a must-see. It's home to 180 artists in 25 buildings. Explore the riverside warehouses that have been converted to working studios. Many galleries are open daily, while special events in the River Arts District feature 100+ artists.
A recent major addition is the New Belgium Breweryalong the French Broad River with tours and a greenway along the river. Read more about New Belgium Brewery.
Haywood Road Restaurants
Today, West Asheville restaurants offer a big variety, from upscale four-star dining and gourmet burgers to casual barbecue and pubs. You'll find many of the best spots along Haywood Road:
- Asheville Sandwich Company (794 Haywood Road) is a small joint with huge french fry sandwiches! Their signature combinations uses local ingredients topped with shoestring fries.
- Westville Pub (777 Haywood Road) opened in 2002 as West Asheville's original watering hole and entertainment venue. Known by the locals as simply "The Pub" it is still owned and operated by the original family.
- West End Bakery (757 Haywood) is a long-time staple and serves breakfast anytime with an assortment of made-from-scratch baked goods with 100% organic flour and the freshest ingredients available. They always offer vegan, spelt, gluten-free and maple sweetened items. For lunch, hot and cold sandwiches are made on fresh baked bread. They are open on Friday and Saturday evenings offering desserts, coffee & espresso and small plates as well as beer, wine and momosas.
- Buffalo Nickel (747 Haywood) is in wonderfully renovated historic building with re-purposed wood and 18 vintage chandeliers (one for each beer on tap). Savor a farm-to-table modern American menu with a cozy dining dining room and open kitchen downstairs. The upstairs is much larger with a nice bar, game room and plenty of seating to enjoy live music on various nights.
- Nine Mile West (751 Haywood) features vegetarian-friendly Caribbean inspired pasta dishes, rice dishes, a handful of traditional pasta dishes, daily specials, and an array of locally made desserts.
- Isis Restaurant (743 Haywood) offers a creative fare of seasonal vegetables and proteins in their dining room and bar. After, enjoy a performance in their Music Hall
- Biscuit Head (733 Haywood) is a hot spot for great breakfast combinations- love their jam bar!
- The Hop West (721 Haywood) serves a variety of yummy Asheville-made ice cream.
- Barleycorn (697 Haywood) is a gastropub with English, Scottish, and Indian influences, utilizing superior ingredients with creative cooking twists and featuring 16 rotating draft beers.
- Grab a California-style big burrito at Lucky Otter (630 Haywood).
- Another local favorite for breakfast and weekend brunch is Sunny Pointe Cafe (626 Haywood Road). They also have a delicious farm-to-fork menu for dinner.
- Try local brews at Oyster House Brewing (625 Haywood).
- Zia Taqueria (521 Haywood) is an authentic Mexican taqueria providing high-quality, moderately priced, regional Southwest / Mexican food and beverage using only natural ingredients.
- King Daddy's Chicken & Waffles (444 Haywood Rd) is sister to the Early Girl Eatery.
- The Admiral (400 Haywood) gets national attention for its innovative cuisine served in a cinderblock building.
- Short Street Cakes (225 Haywood Road) specializes in handmade, all-natural, Southern-style cupcakes, wedding cakes, and other celebration cakes. They also bake a wide variety of vegan, grain-sweetened, and gluten-free cakes.
- Urban Orchard Cider Company and Bar (210 Haywood) makes delicious local hard apple cider, fermented using local apples.
See our Top 50 Asheville Restaurants list for more dining choices.
West Asheville Things to Do
Carrier Park offers volleyball courts, a giant playground, a roller-hockey rink, a basketball court, a multi-use track, a lawn bowling court, a paved trail and a multi-use sports field for baseball and soccer. It also includes a picnic pavilion, river overlooks, a wetland interpretive and education area, and more trails. Located on Amboy Road and Michigan Avenue in west Asheville.
French Broad River Park, one of Asheville's most beautiful parks, meanders alongside the tranquil French Broad River, and features a vast area of open green space with old trees, a wildflower garden, a paved trail, a gazebo, picnic tables and grills, an observation deck, and a small playground. The Dog Park features a large fenced-in area made for exercising and socializing your pooch.
To explore this neighborhood, take exit 2 on I-240 for Haywood Road. Go either direction on Haywood. It will end at Patton Avenue to the west and crosses the French Broad River and ends in downtown to the east.
Map by OnHaywood.com - check them out for a complete listing businesses in West Asheville!