Kick-off the new year with a mountain getaway during “Secret Season,” the quieter winter months. This is a great time to enjoy the clear and crisp mountain air with fewer crowds, affordable accommodations, and scenic trails all to yourself! Enjoy top small towns of Cashiers, Dillsboro, and Sylva for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway in scenic Jackson County west of Asheville in January, February, and March. (Feature photo: Soco Falls, in nearby Cherokee)
For the ultimate spa day of relaxation and rejuvenation, head to Fusions Spa (714 W Main St, Sylva) Located conveniently in downtown, Fusions offers signature experiences and therapies to bring you transformational wellness in a serene and relaxing atmosphere. For reservations, call (828) 631-0232.
In the Cashiers area, check out Canyon Spa at Lonesome Valley in Cashiers (121 Lonesome Valley Rd, Sapphire). Serving Cashiers, Sapphire, and Highlands, Canyon Spa offers a full array of natural body and facial treatments, therapies, and products, all promoting wellness and relaxation. Relish in signature add-ons like a body brush exfoliation, aromatherapy, warm stone massage or aqua gel face masque. For reservations call: (828) 743-0006. Also, see our Cashiers Guide for things to do.
Chocolate & Beer
Find some fantastic craft breweries that are friendly and fun places to hang out. Some must-try seasonal beers at Innovation Brewing include Chocolate Stout in January and the Lovin’ Cup (Peanut Butter Amber) in February! Pairing with some chocolate makes it even better.
Sylva: Pick up some local chocolates from Baxley's Chocolate (546 W Main St) and head to one of two downtown Sylva breweries: Innovation (414 W Main St) and Balsam Falls (506 W Main St). (Pictured above)
Dillsboro: Pick up chocolates at the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory (28 Church Street) and walk over to Innovation Station Brewery (40 Depot Street).
Cashiers: Get your chocolates at Cashiers Farmers Market (78 Highway 64 East) and head to Whiteside Brewing (128 NC-107).
Read more about these breweries on the Jackson County Ale Trail.
Bear Lake Reserve
Retreat to a relaxing getaway in the mountains. Since Jackson County is home to large sections of the Nantahala National Forest, it's easy to find a secluded log cabin or resort with a fireplace or whirlpool and hot tub. Go to the Jackson County Guide for places to stay.
Chef Johannes Klapdohr puts finishing touches on an appetizer at the Library Kitchen + Bar
Jackson County Restaurants
- The Orchard: Southern-American restaurant in a restored farmhouse with scenic orchard & garden views. Open Fri/Sat through winter, 5:30-9 PM. 905 NC-107, Cashiers
- Library Kitchen and Bar: Farm-to-table, fine dining. Open Tue-Sat, 5-9 PM. 184 Cherokee Trail, Sapphire
- SlabTown Pizza: Serves pizza, calzones, salads, wings. Tues-Sat 11:30 AM-8 PM, Sun 4-8 PM. 45 Slab Town Rd, Cashiers
- Lulu’s on Main: Diner-style restaurant serving Southern cuisine. Open Mon-Thurs, 11:30 AM-3:30 PM, 5-8 PM/ Fri-Sat, 11:30 AM-3:30PM, 5-9 PM 678 W Main Street, Sylva, NC
- Guadalupe Cafe: Farm-to-table restaurant with a tropical fusion menu. Open Tues-Sun, 11 AM-8 PM. 606 W Main St, Sylva
- Haywood Smokehouse: BBQ cooked low and slow, scratch-made sides. Open Tues-Sat, 11 AM-9 PM. 403 Haywood Rd
Sylva's famous courthouse during the holidays
Sylva: Shopping in downtown Sylva is a must. Find the perfect unique souvenir or gift to take home along Sylva’s walkable downtown. Check out five antique stores, three bookstores (including a rare and hard to find bookstore), mountain and fly fishing outfitters and The Farm House Mercantile for home goods and furnishings.
Dillsboro: Find handcrafted pottery, sculptures, paintings, photography, and more in Jackson County's many galleries and shops. Riverwood Pottery, in historic Dillsboro, has been firing stoneware for more than 40 years.
Cashiers: Cashiers is home to dozens of upscale home shops and design boutiques, such as Joan Anderson Interiors and The Designer's Market. The Art of Living is another unique home and accessory store open year-round and expanding to include home furnishings this spring.
Shadow of the Bear
- Shadow of the Bear: (photo above) In mid-February, see this unique natural spectacle more commonly known for its fall appearance in October. The Shadow of the Bear actually comes out of hibernation twice a year. It makes an appearance for just 30 minutes on sunny days at 5:30 PM and continues through early March.
- Whitewater Falls: (photo below) Located in Nantahala National Forest, this is one of the highest waterfalls east of the Rockies, with the upper falls falling 411 feet, and the lower falls cascading 400 feet for a total of 811 ft.!
- Whiteside Mountain: Located near Cashiers, this super scenic loop trail takes you along the clifftops the panoramic views of Nantahala National Forest. Condé Nast Traveler picked it as a top hike in the country!
- High Falls: Hike down to the bottom of this 150-foot tall waterfall below the dam for Lake Glenville. Find towering cliffs and plenty of rocks for sitting. Afterward, walk across the road for the lakeside park for a picnic on those mild winter days.
- Schoolhouse Falls: Stroll through Panthertown Valley to this scenic waterfall deep in Nantahala National Forest.
- Pinnacle Park: Winter is a perfect time for this strenuous yet rewarding hike with panoramic views from the summit, one of the few trails that never close due to ice or snow.
Upper Whitewater Falls
Cashiers Waterfall Loop
See four waterfalls in one day with an easy scenic drive through Nantahala National Forest. From Cashiers, head south on NC 107 for four miles to Silver Run Falls. This beautiful setting is a short walk from the road. Continue south five miles on NC 107 into South Carolina and turn left onto Highway 37-413 for about 2 miles. At the end, turn left onto Highway 130 North back into North Carolina to find Upper Whitewater Falls (photo above) on the right. It’s a short walk on a paved trail to the overlook for one of the tallest waterfalls in eastern USA. For a longer hike to more waterfalls, turn right out of the Upper Whitewater Falls parking area on NC 281 North for about 8 miles to Gorges State Park. Hike to Rainbow Falls and Turtleback Falls.
Tubing at Sapphire Valley Ski Resort
Ski & Tube
Near Cashiers is Sapphire Valley Ski Resort, a small resort perfect for beginners and families that don't want to tackle the crowds of the bigger resorts. A fun option is their 700-foot tubing run - fun for all ages with no experience required! Go to the Jackson County Guide for details.
Cherokee Scenic Drive
From Dillsboro, the authentic Cherokee is an easy 15-mile drive. Your first stop should be the Museum of the Cherokee Indian. Next door, see plenty of local crafts and art at Qualla Arts and Crafts. Continue on US 441 for just 3 miles to reach the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains Park. Stop at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center and Mountain Farm Museum to learn more about this area. Continue into the park on Newfound Gap Road for a scenic drive up to Newfound Gap (open except for snow and ice storms). Read more about Cherokee.
Yes, winter is a great time to fish. Jackson County is home to the WNC Fly Fishing Trail®, the country’s first and only fly fishing trail. Since the cooler temperatures allow fish to feed all day long and the state starts its supplemental stockings in the fall, the fish are plentiful and biting during the cooler months. Local guides take you to the best spots and provide all the gear. Go to the Jackson County Guide for details. More info: Go to Jackson County Winter Trip Planner with plenty of things to do, restaurants, and events.
Jackson Winter Specials & Info
Jackson County Ale Trail
For a more laid back, small town beer adventure, head to three cool towns near Asheville: Sylva, Dillsboro and Cashiers - home to six breweries with taprooms and restaurants.
Sapphire Valley Ski Resort
Located near Cashiers, this small ski area is great for beginners and families, with a 1,600-ft. main run and a beginner slope. It's home to the Outhouse Races in February. Also, find a tube park… read more
Jackson County Places to Stay
Choose from historic B&Bs, mountaintop log cabins, Airbnb rentals, lakeside resorts and camping in the great outdoors in the Sylva, Dillsboro and Cashiers areas. Find a mountain getaway for… read more
Jackson County Mountains Guide
Order a free 73-page visitors guide for the Sylva, Dillsboro, Lake Glenville, Cherokee and Cashiers areas, including info on fly fishing, hikes and waterfalls in Jackson County, NC.
Jackson County Top 30
So many things to do - art, train excursions, heritage sites and more! Includes the towns of Cashiers, Cherokee, Dillsboro, Sylva, Balsam, Cullowhee, Glenville and Sapphire.