September 8-17, 2023
The big North Carolina Mountain State Fair in Asheville is the official "state fair" of the western part of NC. More than 180,000 people attend the 10-day event that celebrates our people, agriculture, art, and tradition. It's fun for all ages, with plenty of exhibits, animals, food, rides, and more. The fair is held at the Western North Carolina Agriculture Center, near the Asheville Regional Airport (I-26 East, exit 40). It's a big place, so wear comfy walking shoes and allow time to see it all. Tip: Bring cash since credit card use is limited.
James H. Drew Exposition Carnival Midway returns with the world's most progressive midway with 40+ rides and millions of lights. Don't miss the impressive array of exhibits in various buildings. See the many competitions, including quilt making, photography, extreme garden vegetables, flowers, crafts, and more.
Watch craftspeople at work along the Mountain Heritage Circle. Stroll through the barns to see and learn about a big variety of animals - with 4,000+ to see! Watch the miracle of birth at the “Mooternity Ward". See home improvement exhibitors and buy from local businesses.
Multiple stages host local and national acts with a big variety of entertainment. The Mountain Music Festival showcases Appalachian bluegrass bands and clogging. Other acts include Kenya safari acrobatics, human cannonball, comedy, magic, and a daring motorcycle show. No pets allowed.
Adults are $10/each at the gate (bring cash!), $9/person in advance. Child and senior admission is $5 in advance and $6 at the gate.
For Advance Tickets
- Buy tickets online on the NC Mountain State Fair website.
- Stop by the WNC Ag Center Office, 1301 Fanning Bridge Road, Fletcher, M-F 8 AM-5 PM
- Also, buy advance tickets at WNC Farmer's Market.
- Get a $20 ride sheet for $12 in advance.
- Save $2 by buying advance tickets at Ingles grocery stores before the opening day of the fair.
- Friday: Gates open at 9 AM; Rides open at 10 AM, close at 1 AM
- Saturdays: Gates open at 9 AM; Rides open at 10 AM, close at 12 AM
- 1st Sunday: Gates open at 9 AM; Rides open at 10 AM, close at 11 PM
- 2nd Sunday (Closing Night): Gates open at 9 AM; Rides open at 10 AM, close at 9 PM
- Monday-Thursday: Gates open at 3 PM; Rides open at 4 PM, close at 11 PM
- From Asheville, NC, take I-26 East to Exit #40 (Asheville Airport Exit). Turn right at the top of the exit ramp onto Highway NC 280. After the 2nd stop light, turn left into Gate 6 or 7.
- From South Carolina, on I-26 West toward North Carolina, after you enter North Carolina, take exit #40 (Asheville Airport Exit). Turn left at the top of the exit ramp onto NC 280. After the third stop light, turn left into Gate 6 or 7.
- GPS Address: 1301 Fanning Bridge Road, Fletcher, NC 28732
FREE parking is available on fairground property and satellite property. Parking is located on Highway 280 at Gate 6. Satellite parking is located 1 mile South of Gate 6 (follow the signs) with free bus transportation to the fairgrounds (shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes).