New to Asheville in 2017! Get a birds-eye view of Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains during an exhilarating helicopter scenic flight. Choose from a variety of routes that depart from the Asheville Regional Airport. Flights range from a 15 minute tour of Asheville landmarks to more extended tours above waterfalls, national forests and the Hickory Nut Gorge. Or create a custom flight! This is an experience that you will remember for a lifetime.
New for summer 2017 is their Waterfalls Tour. From the airport, your 35-minute ride immediately takes you above Pisgah National Forest with views of Mt. Pisgah and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fly by Looking Glass Rock (photo at top of page) and above Looking Glass Falls. Then you're off to DuPont State Forest, flying above Cascade Lake, Hooker Falls, Triple Falls and High Falls (pic above).
Other landmarks on your Waterfalls Tour is Bridal Veil Falls (photo above) and Lake Julia. Your 50-mile loop flight finishes over Lake Summit, the Green River Gorge and Hendersonville. They fly low enough for great images, but high enough not to disturb hikers or nature!
See our famous fall color show from the air as it progresses down the slopes during October and early November. Your ace pilot Jacob points out area landmarks and answer questions in-flight. There are only three passengers on a flight, so everyone has a window seat. Bring your camera!
Each season brings its own beauty. Winter has snow, deep blue skies and leafless trees to see the mountain ridges (like Hickory Nut Gorge and Chimney Rock in photo above). Spring brings "greening up the mountains" as bright green leaves climb the ridges.
They fly on Thursday-Monday. It's a good idea to make advance reservations, but they often have same day availability. Here's a sampling of tour options, ranging from $59-$249/person. Save 10% by using promo code FALL if you book your July-November flight by Sept 30.
- Landmark Tour: See our favorite castle and gardens from an unique perspective.
- Asheville Area Tour: Fly over downtown with views of the mountains that surround the city.
- Waterfalls & Pisgah Forest Tour: Fly over waterfalls and lakes in Pisgah National Forest and DuPont State Forest. 30 minute. .
- Chimney Rock Scenic Tour: Fly over the spectacular Hickory Nut Gorge, covering about 20 miles. 30 minutes.
- Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Tour: Head north to see some one of America's favorite scenic drives from the air - as it snakes along the ridges. 30 minutes.
- Bearwallow Mountain Tour: This 20-minute ride takes you to this bald mountain.
- Special First Timers Test Flight: Go up to 500 feet for a quick view. $59/person
- Custom Tours: Great news... they also create custom flights just for you. And you can book them for a wedding or special event to really make an impression with your guests!
Go to their website for more info and to book a tour.
Jacob in his state-of-the art helicopter
Parks & Forests Serenity
For hikers like us, there are sometimes concerns about noise pollution from aircraft. But that will not be a problem with this company. Their helicopter (Robinson R44) has one of the lowest noise signatures of any. And they fly 1,000 feet above the ground, with a noise signature of only around 25-30 db. You are much more likely to hear nearby traffic on roads. In addition, they are required to fly 2,000 feet above any national park.
Directions: Asheville Helicopter Tours is located at the airport (AVL) at 240 Wright Brothers Way, Fletcher. Go to their website for more info and to book a tour.
Watch our 30-second video from our winter tour:
Watch 30 Seconds of the Waterfalls & Lakes Tour