November 28, 2021-January 2, 2022
For a sweet treat, see the amazing creations at the annual National Gingerbread House Competition™ at The Omni Grove Park Inn in Asheville. The 29th annual event will bring back the in-person event that makes this experience so special to competitors, Gingerbread enthusiasts, and the historic hotel. The competition's legacy is built on design, innovation, and tradition that continues for future generations.
Tune-in to Omni Grove Park Inn's Facebook page Dec 1-12 to view the winners of The 2021 National Gingerbread House Competition and their showstopping creations!
Except for the base, the entries are constructed entirely of edible materials. Check out the winners on the main floor of the hotel and many more displayed down on level 7. Pick up a map at various spots in the main lobby. As you walk to the various display areas, see dozens of decorated trees in the historic resort. It will get you in the holiday spirit for sure! Take time to notice the amazing details in each creation. Photos are allowed, but please be respectful to other viewers.
Take a break with a drink in their grand lobby and warm by the massive stone fireplaces. Make reservations for The Omni Grove Park Inn rooms and its four restaurants well in advance! Also, find some great shops and the fantastic Gallery of the Mountains.
The Great Gingerbread House
The Great Hall will be transformed into a holiday destination, with a life-sized Gingerbread House modeled after the historic hotel. Guests can enjoy house-made hot chocolate, specialty craft brews & sweet treats by the glow of the iconic The Omni Grove Park Inn fireplaces.
Virtual Activity: 12 Days of Gingerbread
For those who may not travel this season, the hotel will continue, “The 12 Days of Gingerbread” by releasing one of the Top 12 finalists, per day, on the hotel’s Facebook (@omnigroveparkinn) and Instagram (@omnigrovepark) channels from December 1-12, 2021 to spark Ginger-love for all during the happiest season of the year! This provides an in-person and virtual way for all to enjoy.
2021 Viewing Hours:
- Public viewing will be on display after 3 PM on Sundays or anytime Monday-Thursday, based on parking availability and excluding holidays and the following dates: December 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, and January 1.
- Public viewing on December 26 and January 2 will reopen after 3 PM
- Display access is subject to hotel capacity, including pedestrian traffic.
- Please note that only Registered Resort Pets will be permitted. No outside pets will be allowed.
- Overnight hotel guests may see the display at any time.
Fall & Holiday Parking rates starting 10/1/21:
- Valet Parking: $35 for day parking | $25 for overnight guests
- Self-Parking: $25 for day parking | $18 for overnight guests
- No complimentary parking is available on the property. A portion of the parking proceeds is donated to the community in support of local not-for-profit organizations in Western North Carolina.
- No pets are allowed for day visitors
Tip: Early mornings are the best time to visit since parking fills up many afternoons and evenings.
The National Gingerbread House Competition Judging Criteria
Except for the base, entries must be constructed of edible materials. The main structure should be at least 75% gingerbread, some of which should be exposed. Edible materials are not limited to candies and icings. Entries are judged on five criteria:
- Overall Appearance
- Originality & Creativity
- Consistency of Theme
To get an entry form, go to The Grove Park Inn Gingerbread website.
Their address is 290 Macon Avenue, Asheville (about 2 miles from downtown and 4.5 miles from Biltmore Estate). Read more about The legendary Omni Grove Park Inn. For more things to do during the holiday season, see our Top Asheville Holiday Outings and Events.