November 27, 2016-January 5, 2017
For a sweet treat, see the amazing creations at the 24th Annual National Gingerbread House Competition at The Omni Grove Park Inn. Except for the base, the entries are constructed entirely of edible materials. While judging will take place on November 21, the display of the winners begins November 27.
2015 Grand prize winner "Wishing Tree" by Jennifer Elmore and Mike Willauer from Chapel Hill, NC.
While guests with hotel, spa or restaurant reservations may view the display at any time (including Thanksgiving weekend), others are invited to see the winners on Sundays after 3 PM and Monday-Thursday 9 AM until 9 PM. While there is no admission charge to view the gingerbread creations, there is a $10 per car parking fee. Half of this fee goes to local non-profits and the other half covers the extra expenses to accommodate the big crowds.
Our favorite Top 10 Winner 2015
Most entries are on the main lobby floor in both wings. Get a map at the information desk in the lobby. As you walk to the various display areas, see some of the 80 decorated trees in the historic, grand hotel.
Browse their gift shops and warm by the fire in the massive fireplaces in the lobby. Groups traveling by any vehicle that seats 15 or more passengers in size must make parking reservations prior to arrival. For additional information please call 1-800-438-0050, ext. 1281.
Entries are judged on five criteria:
- Overall Appearance
- Originality & Creativity
- Consistency of Theme
Except for the base, entries must be constructed of edible materials. The main structure should be at least 75% gingerbread, some of which should be exposed. Edible materials are not limited to candies and icings. To get an entry form and read more details, go to the Grove Park Gingerbread Web site. The awards ceremony on November 21st is open to competitors and their guests.
Get a close-up look at the amazing details of the gingerbread top 10 winners in each category, displayed in several areas throughout the hotel.
National Gingerbread House Competition Winners 2015
Child category, ages 5-8
- First place, Spirit Girls of China Grove, NC
- Second place, Emmet Otter's Friends of Blue Ridge, GA
- Third place, Abbey Browning of Candler, NC
Youth category, ages 9-12
- First place, Collin Anderson of Conover, NC
- Second place, Perry Pate of Hickory, NC
- Third place, Nadia Fuentes of Canton, NC
Teen category, ages 13-17
- First place, Courtland High School German Program, Spotsylvania, VA
- Second place, Emily Grant of Greer, SC
- Third place, South Rowan High Rock the House Club, China Grove, NC
Adult category, ages 18 and up
- Grand prize winner, Team Jengerbread: Jennifer Elmore and Mike Willauer, Chapel Hill
- Second place, Billie Mochow of Burns, TN
- Third place, Suzanne Kanaly, Liberty Township, OH
Additionally, a group of entries are on display at the Grove Arcade in downtown Asheville.
For more things to do during the holiday season, see our Top Asheville Holiday Outings and Events.