September 22, 2018
Join the celebration of magical DuPont State Recreational Forest on National Public Lands Day. This first ever event encourages exploration throughout the 86 miles of trails in the 10,000-acre forest. Come ready to hike, bike, hunt waterfalls and learn outdoor recreation tips to last for a lifetime. More than 30 events will take places at all 6 parking areas for the forest. The largest parking area is at High Falls, home to the only visitor center. DuPont Forest is about 40 miles from Asheville, located between the towns of Brevard and Hendersonville. Free admission. RomanticAsheville.com is delighted to be a sponsor!
This is a day to be outdoors exploring, so bring your water and picnic food. Plus, bring a bag to remove all your trash. There will not be food or drink vendors (except for one food truck at Gunion Farm). The day is presented by the hard-working Friends of DuPont Forest (volunteer service group that cares for the forest).
Bike or hike on your own or with one of the below group events. Pets are allowed on a leash.
Schedule of Events
Check at the information tent at each location for the latest schedule in case of last minute changes. No reservations needed.
CORN MILL SHOALS ACCESS
- 9-11 AM: Yoga
- 9-11 AM: Trail Maintenance Demo
- 9-11 AM: Bike Ride
- 9-11 AM: Forect Ecology Hike
- 4-6 PM: Yoga
HIGH FALLS ACCESS
- 10AM-1PM: Invasive Plants Workday
- 11AM-12PM: Wildlife Lecture
- 11AM-12PM: Nature Photography
- 11AM-12PM: Forest Ecology
- 11AM-4PM: Woodworking
- 12-1 PM: Wildlife Lecture
- 12-1 PM: Kids Waterfall Safety
- 2-3 PM: Map App Demo
- 2-4 PM: Nature Photography
- 4-5 PM: Wildlife of DuPont
- 5-6 PM: Map App Demo
HOOKER FALLS ACCESS
- 9 AM -12 PM: 3 Waterfalls & Lake Hike
- 10-10:30 AM: Aquatic Activity
- 10-11 AM: Kids Waterfall Safety
- 11 AM-1 PM: Fly Fishing
- 11:30 AM-12 PM: Aquatic Activity
- 11AM-1 PM: Cemetery Hike
- 3-4 PM: Kids Waterfall Safety
- 3-5 PM: Fly Fishing
- 4-6 PM: Cemetery Hike
- 4:30-5 PM: Aquatic Activity
- 10 AM -12 PM: American Chestnuts
- 10 AM-12 PM: Jr. Ranger Program
- 10 AM-6 PM: Forest Service Demo
- 11 AM-1 PM: Muddy Sneakers
- 11 AM-1 PM: Flora and Fauna Hike
- 11 AM-2 PM: Meet the Horses
- 1-3 PM Squatch Bike Ride
- 1-4 PM Moderate Hike
- 2-4 PM American Chestnuts
- 2-4 PM Muddy Sneakers
- 4-6 PM Muddy Sneakers
FAWN LAKE ACCESS
- 8:30 AM-12 PM: Adult Bike Ride
- 11-AM-12 PM: Bumble Bee Hike
- 2-4 PM: Bumble Bee Hike
LAKE IMAGING ACCESS
- 2-5 PM: Bike Poker Ride (with prizes!)
BARN (Hike or bike from High Falls or Fawn Lake Parking)
- 10 AM-6 PM: Meet the Horses
LAKE JULIA (Hike or bike from High Falls or Fawn Lake Parking)
- 11AM-5 PM: Stand Up Paddleboards (provided)
- 11AM-5 PM: Kayak Tours (provided)
- Parking is available at all six Access Areas – Guion Farm, Lake Imaging, Hooker Falls, High Falls, Corn Mill Shoals, and Fawn Lake.
- Arrive early.
- Find extra parking at Guion Farm. Bring your bike and ride the trails to various activities.
- For overflow parking at all access areas, you can park along the main road if ALL four tires are completely off the pavement. You will be towed if not.
Directions from Asheville (via Brevard)
Take I-26 East to exit 40 for Highway 280/Airport exit toward Brevard. Turn right onto 280 and drive about 16 miles. Turn left on U.S. 64 as you enter Brevard past Wal-Mart. Travel east on U.S. 64 for 3.7 miles to the gas station in Penrose. Turn right on Crab Creek Rd and continue 4.3 miles and turn right on DuPont Rd. From this point, follow directions below to find parking areas.
- High Falls: Drive 4 miles on DuPont Road that turns into Staton Road. Go past the Hooker Falls Access to High Falls Access Area of the left. Don't rely on GPS! Sometimes, the GPS address of 89 Buck Forest Road, Cedar Mountain, NC works for this spot.
- Hooker Falls: Drive 3.1 miles on DuPont Road that turns into Staton Road to the Hooker Falls Access Area on the right, just before the DOT bridge across the Little River.
- Corn Mills: Drive 5.3 miles on DuPont Road that turns into Staton Road. Go past the Hooker Falls and High Falls Access Areas to a left at the end of Staton Road on Cascade Lakes Road. The Corn Mills Shoals Access Area is 0.8 miles on the right.
- Fawn Lake: Drive 5.3 miles on DuPont Road that turns into Staton Road. Go past the Hooker Falls and High Falls Access Areas to a left at the end of Staton Road on Cascade Lakes Road. Go 2.5 miles past the Corn Mills Shoals Access Area to a left on Reasonover Road just before US-276. The Fawn Lake Access Area is 2.8 miles on the left.
- Guion Farm: Drive 0.7 miles on DuPont Road to a left on Sky Valley Road. Follow Sky Valley Road past the junction of Old CCC Road to the Guion Farm Access Area 1.6 miles on the right.
- Lake Imaging: Drive 2.6 miles on DuPont Road that turns into Staton Road to the Lake Imaging Access Area on the left.