How could you spend a winter day at Biltmore? The busy holiday season is over, so it’s the perfect time to consider a quiet and romantic getaway with your valentine to Biltmore in Asheville. During January-March, the magical estate offers a peaceful retreat. (Pic above: A rare big snow at Biltmore.)
The slowest season of the year at Biltmore brings the best deals.
- Admission is lowest of the year when you buy on the Biltmore Estate website 7 days in advance on many weekdays January-February. Save $10 on other days when you buy on the Biltmore Estate website 7 days in advance.
- Children 9 & under always get free admission.
Biltmore Lodging Winter Specials
- The Inn on Biltmore Estate: Go to the Biltmore website to see current Inn on Biltmore specials.
- Village Hotel: Go to the Biltmore website to see current Village Hotel specials.
The Perfect Day
During the late 1800s, George Vanderbilt designed the 8,000-acre estate to be a place of rejuvenation and calm, far away from the busy streets of larger cities. That same feeling comes through today, especially during this season, when Biltmore offers a sense of escape and serenity. Here are some ideas for things to do:
Morning: Arrive at the Welcome Center to pick up your tickets and watch the orientation video for a great introduction. Drive the two mile drive to the house. The Welcome Center opens at 9 AM every day.
Arrive at the Biltmore House. Enjoy a leisurely self-guided tour of the largest home in America. Take advantage of the clear winter days for photo ops and beautiful views from the South Terrace. As always, weekends are busier than weekdays.
Lunch: Rejuvenate with a hearty lunch for two at the Stable Cafe, located beside the house in the restored Stables. The café features slow-cooked rotisserie chicken, fresh salads, and irresistible desserts. And browse the shops.
Afternoon: Stroll acres of peaceful winter gardens designed by America's foremost landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted. From the house, take a maze of walking trails to enjoy the peaceful scenery. Head to the Conservatory (1/2 mile walk from House) and warm up in the tropical paradise! Don't miss the orchid section. If you want to take a longer walk, continue another 1/2 mile to the Bass Pond. Enjoy some solitude in the secluded Boat House.
Return to your car and head toward Antler Hill Village and the Winery. On the way, stop for our favorite photo spot at the Lagoon. Look for the small lake on your left. There is a narrow unpaved road at the far end that crosses a small bridge and takes you around the lake for a stunning view of back of the Biltmore House (photo at top of this page).
Antler Hill Village is a great place to unwind and take in the less formal side of the estate. Dine at Cedric's Tavern or Bistro. Tour the farm. Read more about Antler Village.
While you are at Antler Hill Village, the Winery is a must stop. Warm up with a wonderful, relaxed tasting of robust reds, crisp whites and sparkling wines (included in your admission ticket). We especially love the Red Wine and Chocolate Tasting (extra charge). Read more about the Biltmore Winery.
Romantic Spots: See the best places at Biltmore to propose or celebrate with your Valentine.
Hike: There are many well-maintained trails to explore for all fitness levels. Bundle up and explore several trails. Our favorite is the Bass Pond and Deer Park Trails. Read more about hiking at Biltmore.
Snow: Since snow is rare at Biltmore (maybe a couple of times each winter), it's very exciting. Biltmore never closes - they plow and shovel immediately.
More Winter Romantic Moments at Biltmore
Here are more ideas to create your fairytale getaway to this 8,000 acre estate.
1. Request a private carriage ride and cuddle under the lap blankets.
2. Enjoy afternoon tea at Inn on Biltmore Estate.
3. Have a fun adventure with the Land Rover Driving Experience School.
4. Stay for dinner. The estate's restaurants celebrate this romantic time of year with delicious menu offerings and an array of savory and sweet chocolate dishes.
5. Indulge in four-star luxury and romance with an Inn on Biltmore Estate romance package.
6. Saddle up for a guided horseback ride across Biltmore's ridges and pastures.
7. Combine your Biltmore visit with other great things to do... see our Top Asheville Winter Outings & Events.