Asheville Weddings & Local Procedures
Familiarize yourself with the local marriage laws for your Asheville wedding.
GETTING MARRIED AT THE COURTHOUSE
The Magistrates office is located on the 10th floor of the Buncombe County Courthouse building downtown. They are open Monday - Friday, 8:30 am-5:00 pm. Call 828-259-6471
for more information.
- Bring your wedding license, $20, and two witnesses.
- No advance appointments are made. You may have to wait until the end of a court case.
NORTH CAROLINA MARRIAGE LAWS
The Register of Deeds Office is located in the Buncombe County Courthouse downtown in Room 110. Call 828-250-4301 for more info. Hours are Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
1. There is no waiting period to be married in North Carolina. Once Register of Deeds Office issues the license it is good for only 60 days.
2. Persons need not be residents of this state to marry in this state.
3. The person performing the marriage ceremony must return the completed license to the Register of Deeds Office in the county where the license was originally issued or be subject to a $200.00 fine. The 2 (two) witnesses must include their addresses on both the original and copy of the license. A license issued in one County may be used in any county in North Carolina.
4. The Marriage License fee set by N. C. Law, is currently $50.00.
5. A Physician's Health Certificate of Blood Test is not required.
6. The Register of Deeds shall require proof of age from all persons making application for a marriage license. A person between 18 and 21 years of age is required to present a certified birth certificate. Persons 21 or older may present any one of the following forms of ID: Drivers license, military ID, passport, state ID or a certified birth certificate.
7.The Register may accept a Social Security Number from a social security card or one of the following with the number on it:
a. A W-2 Form
b. A paycheck stub
c. Military discharge
d. Medicaid/Medicare Card
e. Voter's Registration Card containing Social Security Number.
f. Health Insurance Card containing Social Security Number
8. An Internal Revenue Service (W-7 Form) or an affidavit of ineligibility is acceptable for those who don't have a Social Security Number or are not entitled to one. (Such affidavits are good for 60 days only.)
9. Persons 16 or 17 years of age must have a certified copy of their birth certificate and at least one parent, or legal guardian with full or joint custody, who has proper identification, and who will give their written consent (on the marriage applications) and meet the above requirements.
10.All other persons under the age of 16 years must call the Register of Deeds Office for information regarding a marriage license. Persons under the age 14 may not marry regardless of circumstances.
11. A North Carolina Marriage may be performed or solemnized by the following only:
a. An Ordained Minister
b. A Minister Authorized by his church
c. A District Court Magistrate
d. By the Society of Friends, according to customs of the Society
e. By a local Spiritual Assembly of the Baha is in accordance with the usage of their religious community.
f. By any person authorized by any religious denomination or of any recognized Indian Nation or Tribe.
12. A Marriage must be witnessed by 2 (two) people who are present at the marriage. The Witnesses must place their names and addresses on the original and the copy of this license in legible handwriting and in ink.
13. Once the marriage has been performed and both copies of the License returned to the Register of Deeds Office, a Certificate of Marriage may be obtained upon request. Each certified certificate is currently $10.00.
14. This office shall issue no Marriage License for two people of the same sex.
15. Common Law Marriages are void in North Carolina.
16. Bigamous Marriages are void in North Carolina.
17. Marriages of person's nearer kin than first cousins are unlawful in North Carolina.
18.When arriving for a marriage license we ask that both parties arrive prior to 4:00 PM, Monday- Friday.
Events & Weddings along the Blue Ridge Parkway