The winter months of January, February and March 2016 are the most serene of the year in Asheville and the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains. So it's the perfect time for a North Carolina mountain romantic getaway, including a Valentine's getaway. Surprising to some, it rarely snows in Asheville. The city is protected by the surrounding mountains, so snow is often kept about 20 miles away on the higher mountain peaks. (Pic above: Asheville Mardi Gras)
Top 12 Asheville Winter Things to Do
1. Winter Getaway Packages: Since the winter months are the slowest months for inns, hotels and cabin rentals, you will find the best deals of the year. See a big variety of Winter Packages and Specials. Rates will be higher on Valentine's Weekend, so bring your sweetie before or after February 14th to save! See our top rated B&Bs, cabins and hotels.
2. Biltmore Specials: Enjoy the grand estate without the big crowds and get great deals on tickets and accommodations at two hotels. The highly anticipated costume display inside the house, Fashionable Romance: Wedding Gowns in Film, opens February 12, 2016. Read about winter outings and specials at Biltmore.
5. Beer Crawl: Asheville (a.k.a. Beer City U.S.A) has an amazing selection of craft breweries and pubs. Sample 100+ local brews and meet some very interesting people along the way. See our top picks for beer the Asheville area. Try local brews at the Winter Warmer Beer Festival on January 23 and Asheville Beer Expo on February 27. If wine is more to your liking, see our guide to Asheville Wine Bars.
6. Downtown Asheville: Browse through more than 200 shops, 30 art galleries and a dozen antique stores. Take a chocolate tour, and savor local food at 50 restaurants. Tour the fascinating Thomas Wolfe Home. See our Downtown Asheville Guide.
7. Spa Pampering: Be it a simple weekend of relaxation, a romantic couple’s getaway in the mountains or a chance to improve your health, Asheville is the ultimate destination for spas and wellness. Visit an Asheville spa and get some well-deserved pampering. Warm up in the 100-degree mineral waters in Hot Springs.
8. Indoor Attractions: Winter is a great time to explore the many fascinating museums and other indoor things to do in western North Carolina. Many are free or have a minimal admission fee, and there's something for all interests.
9. Art & Craft: With more than 100 galleries and even more artist studios, you will need plenty of time for exploring. In addition to the galleries in downtown and Biltmore Village, head to the Folk Art Center and the River Arts District. See our Gallery Guide.
10. Winter Hiking & Waterfalls: Take a hike with great views due to leafless trees, cool temperatures and far less crowds, it may become your favorite time of the year to hit the trail. See our winter hiking guide for our top picks. And don't forget to find some of our spectacular waterfalls. Also see our Top 20 Winter Waterfalls to explore.
11. Live Music & Dance: Each evening, Asheville hosts a big variety of live music. See some of our favorite music venues.
12. Biltmore Village: Located across from the entrance to Biltmore Estate, the Village is home to more than 40 unique shops and 10 cafes and restaurants.Tree-lined streets, brick sidewalks and period architecture make it a delight to explore. And this is the best area for antiques. See our Biltmore Village Guide.
Valentine's Weekend: Take a photo tour of 10 things to do with your sweetie.
Top Asheville NC Mountain Winter & Valentine Events
Watch our video of spectacular frozen waterfalls!