Downtown Asheville's historic public square has been a central focal point since the city's creation in 1797, lying at the intersection of ancient trading paths. It's named for George W. Pack who donated the land to create the park and funded most of the creation of the towering Vance Monument that was erected in 1896. Today, the beautiful public space has grown to 6.5 acres for visitors to relax and linger.
In addition to the Roger McGuire Green in front of City Hall and the County Building, the park has a large open green space on a slope overlooking the main stage, three water features including a splash fountain and original art by regional artists. There are many seating areas surrounded by native trees and shrubs.
The Pack Square Park Visitor Pavilion has a visitor's information center with helpful volunteers, restrooms and drinking fountains.
A granite Veterans’ Memorial stands near the courthouse at the northeast corner of the park.
Address for GPS: 121 College Street, Asheville, NC 28801.
History of Park Square Park
The creation of Pack Square Park stemmed from a project launched in 1901, when Asheville philanthropist George W. Pack donated land to the county that allowed the old courthouse to be removed from the square and a new courthouse to be built on College Street. Pack’s offer required the county to dedicate the historic square as a public park forever. The site was renamed Pack Square in 1903. The current park project was spearheaded by Pack Square Conservancy, a non-profit organization established in 2000 to design and build the 6.5-acre park and to raise the necessary funds. The updated park opened in 2009 with a redesign of all three sections, the old City-County Plaza, now Roger McGuire Green, and mid-park, now Reuter Terrace. The elimination of several streets allowed these areas to be more closely linked with historic Pack Square, which retained its basic layout, but gained wide brick sidewalks and a new stage and fountain.