Ready for the best massage offerings in Asheville and Western NC?
A top destination for massage therapy, bodywork, and spa experiences, Asheville is the perfect place to pamper yourself for a wellness getaway. Western North Carolina (WNC) features a wide diversity of world-class licensed and insured massage therapists specializing in holistic wellness and healing arts. If you’re looking to unwind, ease tension, and feel peace and deep relaxation, book a massage in Asheville. Better yet, unplug from the daily grind and experience a revitalizing wellness vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Read our guide to Wellness Vacations in Asheville and WNC to learn more. (Feature photo: Blazing Lotus)
Benefits of Massage
Massage is the manual manipulation of the soft tissue structures of the body to prevent and alleviate pain, discomfort, muscle spasm, and stress; and to promote overall health and well-being. Massage can relieve stress, relieve tension headaches, improve sleep, ease symptoms of depression, improve cardiovascular health, reduce pain, reduce anxiety, lower blood pressure, and more. A massage may also include aromatherapy, soothing music, and soft lighting.
Types of Massage Therapy in Asheville and Western NC
Thai bodywork at Blazing Lotus
In Western NC, there’s a type of massage for everyone! Here the types of massage therapy found in and around Asheville.
- Swedish massage: In many countries, a Swedish massage is known as a classic massage. A Swedish massage is designed to relax the entire body by rubbing the muscles in long, gliding strokes in the direction of blood returning to the heart.
- Deep tissue massage: During a deep tissue massage, the massage therapist applies firm pressure and slow strokes to reach deeper layers of muscle and fascia (the connective tissue surrounding muscles). This type of massage is commonly used for chronic aches and pain.
- Hot stone massage: During a hot stone massage, smooth, flat, heated stones are placed on specific parts of your body. The stones are usually made of basalt, a type of volcanic rock that retains heat. The soothing warmth of the stones helps melt away stress and tension from your body.
- Esalen Massage®: Created at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, CA, Esalen Massage® was designed for deep relaxation and integration of body, mind, and spirit.
- Couples massage: During a couples massage, you and a loved one can each enjoy a massage while lying on two separate beds next to each other. In a couple's massage, there’s a massage therapist for each person.
- Shiatsu: This form of Japanese bodywork uses kneading, pressing, soothing, tapping, and stretching techniques and is performed without oils through light, comfortable clothing.
- Thai: This type of massage is a unique style of bodywork from Thailand that’s done on a mat on the floor. It combines rhythmic compression, acupressure, and yoga-like stretches.
- Reflexology: Reflexology is the practice of applying pressure to specific areas known as reflex points on the feet and hands.
Unique Massage Settings in Asheville
Asheville Salt Cave
While there are plenty of massage studios and day spas in Asheville, there are also many unique settings that offer massage in conjunction with other spa services. See our Top Spas in Asheville for the full list.
Asheville Salt Cave
Experience a unique oasis in a salt-enriched microclimate that allows the body and mind to gain relaxation and balance. The power of salt therapy has been known for centuries. Get a hot salt stone massage and other spa treatments. Read more in our full-page feature on Asheville Salt Cave.
Wake Foot Sanctuary
Located in the heart of Asheville’s shopping district, this unique communal space allows you to take a break from exploring the city, cozy up in a plush chair and enjoy a custom foot soak made from essential oils, dried herbs, and botanicals. Sip on hot tea with treats while you soak. Add on a massage by a licensed massage therapist and soak up the bliss! Go to their website for more.
Shoji Japanese-style hot tub
Soak away your stress in the only outdoor Japanese-style retreat on the east coast, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This unpretentious and unique wellness retreat features completely private salt hydrotherapy tubs, a wet cedar sauna, and invigorating double cold showers - all on the edge of the National Forest. Shoji’s world-class Licensed Massage & Bodywork Therapists provide Zen, Okubukai, Awasu, among other offerings. Post tub soak Senjo outdoor exfoliation, Chea Massage Chair Pods, and our Savasana Retreat are some of our more unique retreat choices. Come and relax 2500’ above stress level. A variety of spa packages and Shoji’s Signature Tub Side Tea Service are also available. Read more about Shoji Spa & Lodge and their Japanese-Style Hot Tubs.
Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Travelers have journeyed to the natural mineral hot springs about 36 miles north of Asheville since the late 1700s. Before that, the Cherokee Indians revered its magical, healing carbonated waters. Today, you can soak in the same water, naturally heated underground along a volcanic fault line to a perfect 98-102 degrees. Book an hour or two in a private hot tub by the French Broad River and watch your stress and fatigue melt away. It's located on the Appalachian Trail in the cool small village of Hot Springs.