July 16, August 20, and September 17
Downtown After Five provides free live outdoor music concerts in downtown Asheville every third Friday 5-9 PM from July through September. They celebrate their 33rd year in 2021. Thousands gather on North Lexington Avenue near the I-240 overpass to enjoy local and national beers and a variety of food vendors. While admission is free, you must buy a $2 wristband to purchase beer, hard cider and wine.
2021 Downtown After 5 Lineup
- Acoustic Syndicate: Since 1994, Acoustic Syndicate’s unique blend of bluegrass instruments, rock sensibilities, and conscious songwriting has inspired a generation of musicians. Through 7 albums, thousands of performances, and tens-of-thousands of miles, Acoustic Syndicate has long been heralded as one of the important influences on the modern roots-music revival.
- Joe Lasher: Drawing inspiration from icons such as Rodney Atkins, Eric Church, Jon Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams, Joe’s music is influenced by a variety of genres ranging from traditional country to gospel and from rock to heavy metal, creating a sound that is all his own. Joe has been touring the country since the age of 16, where he is focused on creating a full-sensory show filled with big sound and bright lights giving his audience a reason to sing and dance.
- Abby Bryant & The Echoes: Built around a powerful voice and hard-driving rock ‘n’ soul rhythm section, Asheville, NC’s Abby Bryant & The Echoes has secured a fast-growing foothold in the Southeast music scene. Listeners will find it hard not to hear similarities to some of the artists that inspire the two including currently touring acts Tedeschi Trucks Band, Grace Potter and Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds.
- Picante!: Picante performs original and uniquely arranged Latin rhythms, Latin jazz, rock, reggae and popular music, perfect for getting a crowd dancing.
- Westsound: Playing a mix of beloved favorites from Tina Turner, Prince, Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin, Westsound delivers a fun and danceable performance.
- Asheville All Stars: The All Stars show has quickly become a favorite of the season, featuring some of AVL’s best artists making music together. Curated by local musician and producer, Josh Blake, the All Stars offer a little something for everyone - from rock to hiphop, originals to covers.
Beer & Food
Lots of local beers and hard ciders on tap from Pisgah Brewing, Sierra Nevada, Hi-Wire Brewing, Asheville Brewing Company, Catawba Brewing, French Broad Brewing, Green Man Brewery, and Bold Rock Cider, as well as beers from Western North Carolina and regional and national brands. Wine, soda, and water also available for purchase. Enjoy cuisine from the area's top food trucks.
No pets or bikes allowed. Bring your chair, but no coolers or tents. The Asheville Downtown Association partners with five local nonprofits to sell wristbands at the event, giving each a $2,000 grant.