Downtown After Five provides free live outdoor music concerts in downtown Asheville every third Friday 5-9 PM from July through September. They celebrate their 34rd year in 2022. Thousands gather on North Lexington Avenue near the I-240 overpass to enjoy local and national beers and a variety of food vendors. While admission is free, you must buy a $2 wristband to purchase beer, hard cider and wine.
2022 Downtown After 5 Lineup
- The Fritz: The Fritz is a soul-driven psychedelic funk band hailing from right here in Asheville. The group’s aggressive approach to funk, soul and rock creates a sound that is uniquely their own. Their high-energy, danceable songs provide a platform for each member to shine. With powerful vocals, climactic solos, and tight grooves, The Fritz has built a devoted following and is captivating audiences everywhere.
- Abby Bryant & The Echoes: Built around a powerful voice and hard-driving rock ‘n’ soul rhythm section, Asheville, NC’s Abby Bryant & The Echoes has secured a fast-growing foothold in the Southeast music scene. Listeners will find it hard not to hear similarities to some of the artists that inspire the two including currently touring acts Tedeschi Trucks Band, Grace Potter and Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds.
- Terrance Simien and The Zydeco Experience: For 40 years, two-time GRAMMY award winning artist Terrance Simien and 8th generation Louisiana Creole, has been shattering the myths about what his indigenous Zydeco roots music is – and is not. Simien has become one of the most respected and accomplished artists in American roots music today. He and his band mates have performed over 9000 concerts, toured millions of miles to over 45 countries during their eventful career.
- Sanctum Sully: A delicious stew of rock, bluegrass, funk, psychedelia, country, folk and blues. A longtime bluegrass favorite, Sanctum Sully has reemerged as an electric rock outfit that churns out an authentic sound. From frantic bluegrass licks to spaced-out ambient rock, Sully brings it, straight from the heart. They are a merry band of friends who’s love and respect for each other bleeds out through the music.
- ¡Tumbao!: ¡Tumbao! is a high-energy Latin Fusion band formed by seven seasoned musicians from various genres and backgrounds creating a sound reflecting the many flavors of Latin America. ¡Tumbao! offers a taste of salsa, bossa, funk, cumbia, Latin-rock, R&B, jazz and Brass. Most recently featured on PBS, the electric sound of ¡Tumbao! keeps crossing more and more barriers captivating listeners of every age and every background.
- Asheville All Stars: The All Stars show has quickly become a favorite of the season, featuring some of AVL’s best artists making music together. Curated by local musician and producer, Josh Blake, the All Stars offer a little something for everyone – from rock to hiphop, originals to covers.
- Joslyn & The Sweet Compression: After cultivating her dynamic voice and performance skills in backup roles and stage plays, Joslyn Hampton teamed with her stepfather, Marty Charters to compose a captivating set of tunes and assemble an ace band. Joslyn & The Sweet Compression combine to deliver a hook-filled mix of funk and soul on their self-titled debut album, released in 2019. A headlining favorite at regional clubs and music festivals, they are poised to engage fans across the country with widespread touring in 2021.
- Sister Ivy: Sister Ivy is the voice of the vine that weaves in and out of roots and open air, mixes with the weeds, and climbs to lofty vistas on the limbs of grand trees. A quizzical poet with a voice brimming with turbulent emotion and heartfelt presence, she moves to join the juxtaposed, not only lyrically, but musically, with careful dissonance and timely resolve, blending the mundane with the magical, providing unexpected nourishment and plenty of food for thought.
- Who’s Bad: The Ultimate Michael Jackson Experience: Who’s Bad’s live performance is an unrivaled celebration of pop music’s one true king. Their power-packed performance of Michael Jackson’s expansive catalog has ignited crowds on every continent and can only be described as a jaw-dropping, musical must-see.
Beer & Food
Lots of local beers and hard ciders on tap from Pisgah Brewing, Sierra Nevada, Hi-Wire Brewing, Asheville Brewing Company, Catawba Brewing, French Broad Brewing, Green Man Brewery, and Bold Rock Cider, as well as beers from Western North Carolina and regional and national brands. Wine, soda, and water also available for purchase. Enjoy cuisine from the area's top food trucks.
No pets or bikes allowed. Bring your chair, but no coolers or tents. The Asheville Downtown Association partners with five local nonprofits to sell wristbands at the event, giving each a $2,000 grant.