April 16, 2022
Bring friends to celebrate with picnics, sundresses, elegant hats, tailgating, and the sounds and sights of thoroughbreds thundering past. The Tryon Block House is the longest-running steeplechase in North Carolina, occurring continuously since 1947. The National Steeplechase Association sanctions four of the races. It's located near Columbus, about 50 miles from Asheville.
Tryon International Equestrian Center and Resort (TIEC) race organizers of the Tryon Block House Races – the historic steeplechase of Tryon Riding & Hunt Club – have reopened ticket sales for the 2021 event set for Saturday, June 5 at the Green Creek Race Track in Columbus, NC. Load up your vehicle with your friends and family and head out for a day at the races – the 73rd Tryon Block House Races – the historic steeplechase of Tryon Riding & Hunt Club. Purchase a tailgate space along the 1.16-mile track and watch the jockeys and horses races to the finish line.
Here are some Block House Steeplechase highlights:
- It is rain or shine since these races are on a circuit and cannot be rescheduled. Sorry, no betting.
- Gates open at 10 AM and the races begin at 12:30 PM, then happen every 35 minutes.
- There will be craft beer tents. Food is available. You can bring your own beer, wine, and food for tailgating.
- A food truck with limited items will be available, so bring your own food and drink if you have specific preferences.
- No charcoal grills, pets, or glass containers.
- The Tryon Riding and Hunting Club present the Block House Steeplechase. Memberships available so you will stay informed of events year-round.
- While you can set up your tailgate space however basic or deluxe you like, you’ll find many tailgaters who come loaded with a buffet of food and desserts, custom cocktails and a fully-stocked cooler, tables with tablecloths, plenty of chairs plus a tent for shade (be sure to purchase the $25 tent permit). Those who are serious about winning the annual
“Best Tailgate Contest” will even break out the fine silver! (see below)
- In addition to an impressive tailgate setup, remember to break out your fancy hats, sundresses, or crazy pants to join the traditional garb worn by many attendees to the Tryon Block House Races.
- Go to their website to purchase tickets.
Location: 6881 N.C. Highway 9 in Columbus, NC