Flat Rock Playhouse is officially designated The State Theatre of North Carolina. They present a stellar line-up of shows since they are a Professional Equity Theatre. Located just 30 minutes from Asheville, they have two locations. Their Mainstage Theatre in the village of Flat Rock is a 506-seat auditorium style theatre. Their more intimate Playhouse Downtown on Main Street in Hendersonville seats 250. What began as a few weeks of summer performances in 1940 is now year-long season of productions including Broadway musicals, comedy, drama and concerts.
Music on the Rock at downtown Hendersonville location.
Downtown (125 South Main Street, Hendersonville) & Main (2661 Greenville Hwy, Flat Rock)
- July 6-21, Main: Broadway on the Rock
- July 27-August 18, Main: Mamma Mia Broadway Musical
- August 2-12, Downtown: Music on the Rock - 70s Summer Nights
- August 24-September 9, Main: Always a Bridesmaid
- September 9-16, Downtown: Music on the Rock - British Invasion
- September 12-15, Main: Donny Edwards as Elvis
- September 26-October 13, Main: The Glass Menagerie
- October 4-14, Downtown: Music on the Rock - Disco
- October 18-28, Main: Pickin' & a Grinnin'
- October 25-November 11, Downtown: Miss Nelson is Missing
- November 1-17, Main: The Hound of the Baskervilles
- November 29-December 16, Main: Nashville Christmas
- December 6-16, Downtown: Junie B in Jingle Bells Batman Smells
To buy tickets and get details, go to the their Web site.
The barn-like appearance of the main stage facility is reminiscent of their summer stock beginnings, but today it houses state of the art lighting and sound systems. It's located next door to the Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site.
Also check out NC Stage Theatre in downtown Asheville.