Flat Rock Playhouse is officially designated The State Theatre of North Carolina. They present a stellar line-up of shows since they are a Professional Equity Theatre. It's just 30 minutes from Asheville in the village of Flat Rock near Hendersonville. What began as a few weeks of summer performances in 1940 is now the year-long season of productions including Broadway musicals, comedy, drama, and concerts.
The barn-like appearance of the main stage facility is reminiscent of their summer stock beginnings, but today it houses state-of-the-art lighting and sound systems. It's located next door to the Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site and one of several key attractions in the Flat Rock/Hendersonville area.
The dress is casual, but bring a sweater or jacket since they keep the theatre cool for the actors. Group discounts are available for 10 or more people.
2021 Flat Rock Playhouse Productions
- October 1-31, 2021: Autumn at the Opry
- Grab your guitars and dust off your cowboy boots before heading back out to the Playhouse Barn for the second chapter in their Pickin’ and a Grinnin’ Series. Autumn at the Opry showcases everything from bluegrass to honky-tonk, tin pan alley to pop standards, and the blues to rock-n-roll. This ode to The Grand Ole Opry guarantees a hand-clapping,’ foot-stompin' good time.
- October 31, 2021: The Nat ‘O’ Ween Spooktacular
- Flat Rock Playhouse presents the Nat-O-Ween Spooktacular starring the one and only Nat Zegree. The production will feature a haunting concert, taking you on a spooky musical adventure. From “Monster Mash” to “Thriller” Nat will trick and treat with hair-raising songs and sing-a-longs. Tickets for this fundraising event will go directly to support our Rock Solid Campaign. One night only, costumes are welcome!
- November 26 - December 19, 2021: A Flat Rock Playhouse Christmas
- Experience this dazzling holiday celebration! This all-new show comes to life with a cast of Flat Rock favorites, bringing magic and merriment to the stage- capturing the spirit of the holidays with seasonal classics and new adaptations and medleys.
Also, check out NC Stage Theatre in downtown Asheville.