At Sliding Rock each summer, many thousands of children and adults slip and slide down this favorite natural mountain waterfall in the Pisgah National Forest, near Asheville, North Carolina. Sliders patiently line up and wait their turn as one-by-one they ride the chilly water (50-60 degrees!) down the 60-foot flat, sloping boulder. They make a splash in an eight-foot deep pool and swim a few strokes to the shore, get in line, and do it all over again.
This natural waterslide, located eight miles from Brevard, is fueled by 11,000 gallons of water flowing down the rock each minute, creating an exhilarating, one-of-a-kind thrill. It is extremely popular on hot summer days, so be patient! There's plenty of areas to relax on rocks or observation decks.
2014 Hours & Admission
While you can slide anytime during daylight hours, lifeguards are on duty from Saturday, May 24 through Labor Day, September 1, 10 AM-6 PM. Changing rooms and restrooms are open when lifeguards are working. While Sliding Rock is also often open when lifeguards are not on duty, do not slide during high water or thunderstorms.
Cost to enter the recreation area is $2 per person (when lifeguards are on duty). Children 6 and under are free. It is free to visit during "off" hours.
Tips for Your Visit to Sliding Rock
- There are several observation areas to watch the sliders. So it's a great place to visit even if you don't want to get wet.
- The pool at the bottom of the falls is eight feet deep. So you must know how to swim!
- Children under 7 years must slide with an adult.
- Lifejackets are the only flotation device allowed.
- Blue jean shorts and water shoes are recommended for sliding on the rock.
- The parking area fills up and closes periodically on summer weekends. For a more enjoyable visit, avoid peak visiting hours of 11 AM-3 PM on Saturday and Sundays. The parking area also fills up on some weekdays in July.
- Slide in sitting position only.
- No alcohol is permitted.
- Pets are allowed in the area, but they must be on a leash and cannot slide down the rock.
- To avoid congestion in the parking lot, no picnicking is allowed. Picnic areas are nearby at Pink Beds, four miles away.
- The nearest food is at Cradle of Forestry Cafe - turn left four miles from Sliding Rock. Or about eight miles in Brevard.
Directions: From Asheville (38 miles from downtown), drive I-26 East to Exit 40 for Highway 280 (and the Asheville Airport). Take a right onto Highway 280 West and go 16 miles toward Brevard. As you enter Brevard, you will see a big shopping center on the right (with Wal-Mart). Just past the center, turn right onto US Highway 276 North (Forest Heritage Scenic Byway) to enter the Pisgah National Forest. Go 7.6 miles to a parking area on the left. From the Blue Ridge Parkway, take US 276 South about 7.5 miles.
Nearby Waterfalls & Hiking
Sliding Rock is near Looking Glass Falls, Looking Glass Rock, Daniel Ridge Falls, Pink Beds Hike, and Cradle of Forestry. From the Blue Ridge Parkway, take U.S. Highway 276 South at Milepost 412 for eight miles. For more, see our Pisgah Forest Waterfall & Hiking Map.
More Swimming Holes
Find other swimming spots in Blue Ridge Mountains of NC.
Fun for all ages!