Asheville has plenty for an all-guy getaway. Grab your brothers, cousins, college buddies or other man friends for some male bonding. Often, several couples will visit together and the men take a day to do "guy" things while the ladies go shopping or to the spa. And don't forget father-son getaways!
Here's our Top 10 list of ideas for a "mancation" or "mancursion" in Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains.
1. Golf: Grab the clubs and try out one of the local golf courses.
2. Hike: Hit the trails for a easy woodland walk or a more challenging hike to a summit. See our Hiking Guide for a variety of places to hike. If you want to spend the night along the trail, camp under the stars.
3. River Fun: Our mountain rivers provide both peaceful and exhilarating adventures, surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery. The Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests areas around Asheville, Brevard, and Hendersonville are the first targets for quick access to fishing. Try fly fishing with a guide. For higher adventure, go whitewater rafting down one of the one several rivers near Asheville. .
6. Be Merry! End the day by enjoying great music and a few drinks at one of the many live music bars and clubs in Asheville.
7. Architecture: Take in the striking architecture of downtown Asheville, with Neoclassical, Romanesque Revival, Art Deco, Beaux Arts, Gothic and Spanish Renaissance styles. The best way to cover the architecture and history of Asheville is to walk the 1.7-mile Urban Trail downtown that features 30 stops that all feature sculpture.
8. Cabins: Rent a cabin or two for the gang. There are many cabins, cottages and vacation rentals to choose from.
9. Windshield Tour: Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, one of the most scenic drives in America, stopping along the way to soak in the vistas or take one of the many hiking trails. In addition, there are many other scenic drives in the mountains that surround Asheville.
10. Museums: A must stop for car buffs is the Estes-Winn Auto Museum with a collection of 20 classics and the massive collection at Wheels of Time in Maggie Valley, a motorcycle and automobile museum. Read more about this and other indoor attractions and museums.
Enjoy your Mancation in Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains!
For road bikes, a popular spot is the Blue Ridge Parkway. Read some great tips about biking on the Blue Ridge Parkway... read more