If you haven't been to Hendersonville lately for the holidays, you need to check out all the new, festive events along with magical Main Street decked out in many thousands of lights. With more than 100 one-of-a-kind stores and galleries plus 24 local restaurants, it's a delight to spend the day exploring downtown. Events during their "Come Home for the Holidays" include Flat Rock Playhouse productions, holiday hayrides, concerts and even iceless skating. This charming, bustling town is just 25 miles south of Christmas at Biltmore and Asheville.
Discover one the best downtowns for shopping in all of North Carolina. Mast General Store is always a must stop. Galleries abound. The charming Main Street of beautifully restored historic buildings looks ready for a Hallmark Channel movie filming! Many stores stay open late, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.
- November 27: Downtown Street Lighting, Carriage Rides & Santa’s Arrival, starts at 5 PM
- December 4: Olde Fashioned Hendersonville Christmas on Main Street, 5-8 PM
- December 5: Hendersonville Christmas Parade, 10 AM
- December 6: Holiday Tour of Historic Inns and Cookie Caper, 1-4 PM
- TBA: Iceless Skating Rink
- TBA: Main Street Holiday Hayrides, 5-8 PM
- New Year’s Eve (Dec 31) Apple Rise: Choose from two family-oriented countdown celebrations, one 6-7 PM to celebration Greenwich Mean Time New Year and one 11-12 PM! Enjoy the hits of the year, warm beverages, noisemakers, glowsticks, games and more on the Historic Courthouse Plaza. Free.
- Go to the Hendersonville Web site for a full schedule of their "Home for the Holidays" events. Most are free.
See holiday Broadway shows at Flat Rock Playhouse State Theatre.
Santa's favorite store is Dancing Bear Toys (418 North Main). Other favorite shopping stops include Carolina Mountain Artists Guild (444 North Main) with creatives by 30 local artists, Wine Sage and Gourmet (416 North Main) kitchen wonderland and Wag! Unique Pet Boutique (231 North Main).
A must stop is McFarlan Bakery (309 North Main), a local's favorite since 1930 with plenty of holiday treats.
Go to the Hendersonville Web site for a full schedule of their "Home for the Holidays" events.