The Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend in Asheville is a feast of fun. Here are our Top 10 things to do. Of course, eating is number one! Also see our Top Holiday Outings.
Thanksgiving Day (November 26, 2015) Asheville Restaurants: While many restaurants are closed, there are still many great choices for a Thanksgiving brunch, lunch or dinner. Click on the names to go to their web sites.
- Biltmore Estate Restaurants. Requires estate admission ticket or 12-month pass to dine. See our Christmas at Biltmore Guide.
- Deerpark 11 AM-4 PM: Extravagant Thanksgiving buffet, $45/person, reservations required (and books up fast). Phone: 828-225-6260.
- Bistro (at Winery) 11:30 AM-8 PM: Gourmet four-course prix fixe menu plus limited a la carte. Phone: 828-225-6230. Reservations highly recommended.
- Stable Café (by House) 11 AM-4 PM: A la carte menu with blend of most popular lunch menu items, plus a number of holiday offerings. Best option if you tour Biltmore on Thanksgiving and don't have a reservation.
- Cedric’s Tavern (Antler Village) 11 AM-9 PM: Regular lunch and dinner menus, plus three-course menu. Phone: 828-225-1320
- Omni Grove Park Inn Restaurants
- Blue Ridge Dining Room: 12-8 PM Buffet feast with views of the mountains, Adults $59, children 2-12 $20
- EDISON, craft ales + kitchen: 11 AM–11 PM with special menu, $35 lunch, $37 dinner
- Grand Ballroom Buffet: 10:45 AM-6:30 PM, Phenomenal Buffet, Adults $59, children 2-12 $20
- Vue 1913: 5:30-9:30 PM, Thanksgiving 3-course menu $65
- Read more about Grove Park Inn and the Gingerbread House Competition Display
- Grand Bohemian Hotel: (Biltmore Village) Two choices: The Red Stag Grill presents an elegant, four-course dinner, 11:30 AM-9 PM, $65/adult, $25/ages 6-12. The grand Kessler Ballroom hosts family-style dining for featuring traditional Turkey and accompaniments, seats at 12-12:30 PM and 2:30-3 PM, $59/adult, $25/ages 6-12. See our review of the Grand Bohemian Hotel.
- Roux: (South Asheville) Traditional Thanksgiving buffet including delicious selections of roasted all-natural NC turkey with orange-cranberry relish, baked ham with maple-jack glaze, sweet potato casserole with pecan streusel, homemade pumpkin pie, dark chocolate cherry bread pudding, gluten-free options, and much more! Seating will be from 1–8 PM. Adults $36/person, $16/child 12 and under. Located in the Hilton Hotel Biltmore Park.
- DoubleTree Biltmore's Thanksgiving Buffet features seasonal classics with an elegant twist, with roasted turkey, autumn greens, herb roasted fingerling potatoes, pork loin stuffed with apples, pears and sage, pumpkin cheesecake and much more. 1:30-6 PM. Adults $35; Children 12 and under $14.
- Buffalo Nickel: In West Asheville, reservations 12-7 PM with a 3-course menu of farm-to-table turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and green beans, plus dessert, for $30 adults.
- Edna's coffee shop in North Asheville is open 6 AM-10 PM with sandwiches, salads and a variety of drinks.
- Storm Rhum Bar & Bistro, downtown, 3-course prix fixe menu with choice of heritage breed turkey, beef, pork or fish. They serve from 2-8 PM and the bar will be open until midnight.
- Isa’s Bistro, 11 AM-4 PM, 3-course prix fixe menu $55, downtown
- oneFIFTYone Bar & Bistro inside Hotel Indigo is serving a 3-course "Taste of Asheville" menu 1-9 PM, $45 per person.
- Strada Italiano, 11 AM-8 PM, Italian family recipes (Social Lounge next door stays open until 12:30 AM), downtown
- Carmels, a la carte Southern inspired menu, Grove Arcade downtown, 11:30 AM-8 PM
- Pack's Tavern, Two Thanksgiving Buffets with turkey, dressing, and all the trimmings special and plenty of beer choices on Pack Square Park downtown, 11 AM-9 PM. $29.99/adults, $14.99/children under 10.
- Mountain Magnolia Inn in Hot Springs, Thanksgiving Harvest Dinner served from 12-7 PM inside historic inn. 3-Course Prix Fixe $60, 5-Course Prix Fixe $70, Children Under 12 with 3-Course Prix Fixe $25; Under 6 free.
- Highland Lake Inn in Flat Rock, Thanksgiving Buffet 10:30 AM-7 PM, $44.95 Adults, $22.50 Child, 5 and under free. Live music. Reservations required.
Holiday Packages / Places to Stay: See our holiday vacation packages page for the latest holiday vacation packages, deals and specials. Also see our list of the bests hotels, bed and breakfast inns and cabin rentals in Asheville and the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Make reservations early since we will have lots of visitors in town for the big Thanksgiving Weekend.
- Black Mountain Camp: The Thanksgiving Folk Dance Camp (November 26-29, 2015) is a holiday tradition with contra and folk dance classes, live folk music, crafts, hiking, outdoor gams and more. Packages include lodging, food and all activities. Go to their Web site.
Biltmore Estate: Biltmore Estate is open on Thanksgiving Day. Normally it is not very busy, so it's a great day to visit to see America's largest home decked out in festive finery. Restaurants are open (make dining reservations in advance). The Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving are very busy on the estate. When you purchase tickets, inquire to see if your self-guided tour of Biltmore House requires a reservation. See our Christmas at Biltmore Guide. And see Five Other House Museums for Holiday Tours.
Shop Downtown Asheville: Most all downtown stores are closed on Thanksgiving. But there's plenty of holiday shopping on Friday and Saturday to find those special gifts. Browse through more than 200 shops, 30 art galleries and a dozen antique stores - all locally owned. Tour the fascinating Thomas Wolfe Home on Friday or Saturday. See our Downtown Asheville Guide. For more great local shops with unique gifts, explore our cool small towns throughout our mountains.
LaZoom Comedy Bus Tours: What a fun outing with friends and family! Take the zany tour on the big purple bus. Read more about LaZoom Tours.
Holiday Shopping: New for 2015 is the big Asheville Outlets Center with 70 stores. Located across from the entrance to Biltmore Estate, Biltmore Village is home to more than 40 unique shops housed in historic cottages and buildings. Asheville is a mecca for artists, so this is the place to find one-of-a-kind gifts. In addition to the galleries downtown and Biltmore Village, head to the Folk Art Center and the River Arts District. See our Gallery Guide. Also see our Antique Shopping Guide. Most all local stores are closed on Thanksgiving Day.
Pick your Christmas Tree: Go to a "choose and cut" Tree Farm to pick the perfect one for your home on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. All are closed on Thanksgiving Day. Many farms offer hayrides and other holiday-related events. See our Asheville Christmas Tree Farms Guide.
Get Outdoors: Take a late fall hike and enjoy views through with leafless trees, cool temperatures, and few fellow hikers. See our hiking guide for top picks. All trails and waterfalls in the National Forests and Parks are open every day. Area ski resorts will open by the weekend if we get a lot of cold weather before Thanksgiving. Or zip line at Navitat Canopy Tours.
- Green Friday (Nov 27) at Adventure Center of Asheville (near downtown): Ages 4 and over zip at KidZip or climb at Treetops Park. Ages 10 and over can enjoy our Zipline Canopy Tours as well as advanced challenges in the Treetops Park. 50% of all revenue donated for environmental causes, including RiverLink in Asheville.
- Guided #optoutside hike (Nov 27) by Great Smoky Mountain Rangers and Volunteers on Friday at 10 AM on Little Cataloochee Trail. The 5-mile, roundtrip hike is moderate but does have several steep sections. The trail follows an old road that provided access between Big Cataloochee and Little Cataloochee. Stops include the Hannah cabin, the Little Cataloochee Church and cemetery, and the Cook cabin. Meet at the parking area on the left just after entering Cataloochee Valley. Read more about Cataloochee Valley.
National Parks: Both Blue Ridge Parkway and Great Smoky Mountains National Park are open on Thanksgiving Day, weather permitting. The Oconaluftee Visitor Center in the Great Smokies is open on Thanksgiving Day.
More Happenings: See our Top Holiday Outings for more things to do!