Sneak Peek: See our Photo Tour of Christmas at Biltmore (photos from today!)
Top 10 Asheville Holiday Outings
1. Christmas at Biltmore Estate: Our biggest holiday event is Christmas at Biltmore. Starting on November 4, America's largest home is decked out in festive finery.
See our Christmas at Biltmore Guide. See photos taken today!
2. Shop Downtown Asheville: Make holiday shopping more fun and relaxing while finding truly special gifts. Browse through more than 200 shops, 30 art galleries and a dozen antique stores. And if you need a break, stop at one of our Top 25 Restaurants or many coffee shops. Tour the fascinating Thomas Wolfe Home for only a buck! See our Downtown Asheville Guide. For more great local shops with unique gifts, explore the quaint downtowns of nearby Brevard, Hendersonville and Waynesville.
3. Gingerbread Houses at Grove Park Inn: For a sweet treat, see the amazing display of gingerbread houses from the National Gingerbread House Competition at the famous Grove Park Inn. See our Gingerbread House Competition Guide.
4. Shop Biltmore Village: What a charming area for holiday shopping! Located across from the entrance to Biltmore Estate, the Village is home to more than 40 unique shops and 10 cafes and restaurants. Tree-lined streets, brick sidewalks and period architecture make it a delight to stroll through and explore. See our Biltmore Village Guide.
5. And More Art: Asheville is a mecca for artists, so this is the place to find one-of-a-kind gifts. With more than 100 galleries and even more artist studios, you will need plenty of time for exploring. In addition to the galleries downtown and Biltmore Village, head to the Folk Art Center and the River Arts District. See our Gallery Guide.
6. Antiques: The best area in Asheville to find antiques is the Biltmore Antiques District with a dozen stores within a mile and a half of the Biltmore Estate. Included is the local long-time favorite, the Antique Tobacco Barn. See our Antique Shopping Guide.
7. Winter Hiking: For the best views of the year, take a winter hike. With leafless trees, cool temperatures, less crowds and frequent bright blue skies, it may become your favorite time of the year to hit the trail. See our Top 50 Hikes for our favorites. See a snowy hike on Roan Mountain. And don't forget to find some of our Top 25 Waterfalls. Most area ski resorts open by early December.
8. Stay in Holiday Style: Stay in a home away from home, complete with the sights, sounds and smells of the holidays, at one of the elegant bed and breakfast inns. See our complete list of small B&Bs and large B&Bs in the area. Many of them have special holiday packages and specials. For a quiet retreat from the holiday madness, escape to a romantic cabin or cottage.
9. Pick your Christmas Tree: North Carolina is the number two state in the country for growing Christmas Trees! Go to a "choose and cut" Tree Farm to pick the perfect one for your home. Many farms offer hayrides and other holiday-related events. See our Asheville Christmas Tree Farms Guide.
10. Holiday Events: Catch one of the many holiday events in Asheville. See our top picks.