Vacation Ideas & Events from RomanticAsheville.com Travel Guide 03/12
See the Top 10 Movie Film Locations in the NC Mountains
The beautiful scenery from Asheville and the surrounding mountains appear in many movies. Most recently, The Hunger Games filmed at several locations near Asheville. Here are the top movie locations to visit in western North Carolina:
- Biltmore: The Biltmore House was first seen on the big screen in 1952 when The Swan opened starring Grace Kelly. More than a dozen other major motion pictures filmed on the grand estate, including The Clearing, Hannibal, Return to Secret Garden, My Fellow Americans, Richie Rich, and Being There.
- Chimney Rock: This year marks the 20 th anniversary of the movie Last of the Mohicansstarring Daniel Day-Lewis. Widely-known for its stunning scenery, Chimney Rock Park was showcased during the film and will be celebrating the 20th anniversary with a special movie viewing on June 16.
- Lake Lure: Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey starred the 1980s hit Dirty Dancing that started a dancing craze. The Dirty Dancing Festival is August 17-19.
- Cold Mountain: While the 2003 movie was not filmed at the infamous mountain featured in the best-selling Charles Frazier novel Cold Mountain, visitors explore the areas featured in the book.
- Downtown Asheville: The first movie shot in Asheville, Conquest of Canaan, was filmed in the 1920s in what is now Pack Square.
- DuPont State Forest: The mega-movie The Hunger Games filmed in 2011 at this popular hiking and mountain biking area.
- Great Smoky Mountains: The Fugitive, the blockbuster starring Harrison Ford, was filmed at Cheoah Dam and Nell with Jodie Foster filmed at Fontana Lake.
- Grandfather Mountain: Several of the running scenes in the 1994 Academy Award winning Forrest Gump were shot in the mountains, including Forrest running up the curvy road at Grandfather Mountain.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Both Patch Adams and The Green Mile filmed along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Black Mountain: 28 Days starring Sandra Bullock was filmed in 1999 at a conference center that is substituted as the mental institution.
Enjoy Upcoming Spring Events
March 31-April 1, 2012: Orchid Show and Sale
This popular show at the NC Arboretum features hundreds of orchids, education classes, plant and supply vendors. See our Orchid Show Guide.
April 6-8, 2012: Appalachian Trial Founder's Bridge Festival
Nantahala Outdoor Center's (NOC) has a new special event to celebrate the nation's most beloved footpath, the 2,179-mile Appalachian Trail. Both weekend dayhikers and long distance warriors are welcome. Read more about the AT Bridge Festival.
April 7–May 20, 2012: Biltmore Blooms festival of flowers
The biggest Spring event of them all! More than 100,000 tulips herald Biltmore Estate's Biltmore Blooms festival of flowers with stunning floral displays across the estate.
See our Biltmore Blooms festival of flowers Guide.
April 7, 2012: Easter Hat Parade in Dillsboro
Old hat, new hat, yellow hat, blue hat. They're all welcome at Dillsboro's annual Easter Hat Parade at 2 PM, showcasing a variety of interesting hats atop participants of all ages, including pets. See our Easter Hat Parade Guide.
April 7 & 21, 2012: Master Gardener Plant Clinics at Western NC Farmer's Market
Master Gardeners Program offers plant clinics to assist the public in diagnosing and solving gardening questions. All clinics are free. Bring samples from problem plants or insects that need to be diagnosed and/or identified.
Read more about Western NC Farmers Market Events.
April 8, 2012: Sunrise Service at Chimney Rock
Celebrate Easter by watching the sun rise over Hickory Nut Gorge. See our Chimney Rock Sunrise Service Guide.
April 12-15, 2012: ActionFest
The world's first film festival devoted exclusively to action cinema, and to the people who make it possible, from filmmakers to stuntmen and fight choreographers. Read more about ActionFest.
April 14, 2012: Farmers Market Car Show
10 AM - 2 PM. Free. Read more about Western NC Farmers Market Events
April 20-21, 2012: BBQ Cook-off & Bluegrass Jam
Free admission with plenty of great live music and food. Read more about Western NC Farmers Market Events.
April 20-22, 2012: NOC Demo Days & Freestyle Kayak Shootout
At NOC’s perennial spring festival Demo Days, 60+ kayaks and canoes will be available for free test-paddles on the Nantahala River. Plus watch their Freestyle Kayaking competition. See our NOC Demo Days & Shootout Guide.
April 27-28, 2012:"Growing in the Mountains" Plant Show
Sponsored by the Blue Ridge Hort Association. Truckshed #5, WNC Farmers Market. Certified nurseries will be selling their products to the public. Read more about Western NC Farmers Market Events.
April 27-29, 2012: Spring Wildflower and Bird Pilgrimage
If you love mountain wildflowers, don't miss this three-day event sponsored by the University of North Carolina at Asheville Biology Department and the Botanical Gardens at Asheville with many guided field trips, lectures and plant sale. Read more about the Spring Wildflower and Bird Pilgrimage.
April 28, 2012: Greening Up the Mountains Festival
Celebrate the arrival of spring with this downtown Sylva street festival, about an hour's drive west of Asheville. See our Greening Up the Mountain Festival Guide.